Monday, July 1, 2013

Sunday Stealing

This week's questions come from Academic Cog and she wrote the questions herself because she hadn't seen a summer meme in a long time.  I'm not a summer-lovin' kinda person, so this may not have been the best meme for me!

1.) What first tells you that Summer is here?

- When I have to turn on the air conditioning and move a fan into the family room.
- Also, it's easier to shop and park because the University students have gone home for the summer.
- Huge crowds of school kids on bicycles traveling to pool or on other outings
2.) Name your favorite distinctively Summer habits or customs.
Seeing an explosion of flowers/greenery around town
Sleeping in shorts with no blanket

3.) What is your favorite smell of Summer?

Any fresh fruit, vine/tree ripened.

4.) What is your favorite taste of Summer?

Fresh peaches; you can buy peaches year-round now, but only the farm-grown, tree-ripened peaches really have that taste that I remember so fondly from my childhood.
Also fresh corn on the cob.

5.) Favorite Summer memory?

The summers I spent as a teen ager at my cousin Peach's house.  Each summer I would spend 2 weeks with her, she would spend 2 weeks with me.  At the same time Karen would be with Peach's sister, Mandy, either at Peach's house in the country or at our house in the city.  I fondly remember the day that we went to see Tzar, a beautiful horse in the yard of their neighbors.  I also remember Peach's friends squeal about this new performer on TV, a guy named Elvis.  I couldn't see what the fuss was about (still don't)

6.) Extreme heat or extreme cold? Which would you choose and why?

Oh extreme cold, for sure.  You can bundle up and use heaters in extreme cold; not so much you can do about extreme heat...though I would prefer no "extreme" of anything.

7.) What books do you plan to read for the season?

Nothing special.  I read whatever strikes me at a time.  Right now I am doing a lot of reading about dementia, for some strange reason.

8.) What is your favorite part of summer?

-Tom's annual 4th of July BBQ
- Jeri's visit in August
- When summer ends!

9.) What's your favorite quintessentially summer food? Least favorite?

Potato salad (particularly the kind my father used to make, which nobody does any more), home grown tomatoes.
Least favorite would be dry, burned BBQ chicken (which I encounter rarely, fortunately!)

10.) Best beverage to beat the summer heat:

Ice water in a glass over ice cubes.

11.) Least favorite/most annoying thing related to summer?

Definitely the heat.  Second would be mosquitos.

12.) Pick one: the lake /the beach.

Beach.  Love me an ocean view.

13.) Most amusing summer vacation trip you've ever taken?

My family always went to some sort of resort for a week each summer.  I remember one place we went to, at the height of my Judy Garland craze.  I read that the place showed movies one night a week and joked to my father that they would probably show The Pirate, a Garland movie that he hated.  When we got there and saw the schedule, that was indeed the movie they were showing.

14.) Most ridiculous/cringe-inducing/blush-provoking summer outfit you have seen? (Bonus points if you yourself were wearing it!)

Bikinis or Speedos on an obese person.  I wouldn't be caught dead wearing that!!!

15.) Your absolute dream summer afternoon would be

A recliner, a fan, a glass of ice water, and a good book.

16.) If you could go anywhere on summer vacation where would you go?

Someplace cool.

1 comment:

Kwizgiver said...

Love the Judy Garland movie memory!