Monday, September 11, 2017

I Knew There was a Reason

Well, there were several reasons why I opted to go home and see my PCP on Monday other than staying in the hospital, as the doctor suggested (I did not, as my discharge papers say, leave against medical advice!)

A big reason was that I had been lying in that bed for hours and my back was killing me.  Under the best of circumstances, beds and I do not get along, but hospital beds are particularly uncomfortable and I just wanted to get into a soft recliner and go to sleep.  And i did.  We got home at 4 a.m., I went to sleep on the couch until about 10, then changed to the recliner and slept a few more hours, then back to the couch for more sleep.  In fact, I slept the better part of the next two days.

But also, I was scheduled to review two shows this weekend, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde at the Davis Musical Theater, and Patience at Light Opera Theater of Sacramento. Under normal circumstances, we have back-ups.  If someone, for one reason or another, is unable to review a show there is someone to cover for them.

For the Davis paper, I am the only reviewer, but another newspaper staff member, who covers theatrical reviews for the local PBS station, is available to fill in for me.

For the Sacramento paper, there are four of us so usually someone can take over, but I was really looking forward to doing he show myself being a Gilbert & Sullivan aficionado, and this one of my favorite operettas.

The problem is that my colleague in Davis for some reason I have yet to fathom, hates the Davis Musical Theater Company.  He has never been to any of their shows in their 33 year history.  He says he has, but he has not (the founder and producer of the shows would definitely know).  I know that he is partial to shows that have cast "equity actors," which DMTC does not, and in the beginning years, the shows were often uneven, talent wise, but over the years the company has improved significantly and now is a real quality company.

Though I felt like shit Saturday night I was so glad I had gone because the production was outstanding.  Everybody was wonderful, but J. Sing, who played the title character was outstanding.  He could easily have done this role on any professional stage.



 
I had seen the above video and I hated to think that if I weren't there, the show would not have a review.

As for Patience, there was a possibility that someone could cover for me but I just felt I had to do it. 
The production itself was reward enough for dragging myself to the theater. While everything was just perfect, the outstanding feature was a twenty piece orchestra, an extraordinarily large community theater orchestra. Community theater orchestras are often iffy things, in which a few players who aren't quite up to the task, but this orchestra was flawless and even if the production itself had not been so good, it would have been worth it just to hear the orchestra.

But the production was also good and so I was glad we had gone, though once we saw the first act and I could see how good everyone was, since I know the show so intimately I would have been happy to go home and back to bed!  But we stayed.

So now it's Monday and I will see the doctor for a follow up.  I am significantly better than I was on Thursday but can't exactly say I am well.  I still feel like a limp dishrag and all I want to do is sleep.
I don't know what follow up tests the ER doctor was going to suggest, but I hope that they tell us something.

No comments: