Thursday, June 14, 2012

Q&A and Logos

I liked this meme that I found on ... where else? ... Kwizgiver's blog.

1. What would you pick as a major, if you could go back to college and do it again?
Oh lord...journalism!  I never took even one English class in college (in my brief 1-1/2 semesters) and think that my whole outlook on college might have changed if I had.  What in God's name was I doing taking a speech class??

2. Who is the one celebrity with whom you would most like to have an indepth conversation?
Kwizgiver responds, "I think Jon Stewart is interesting, he'd be fun" and I think that I agree with her.  Intelligent, funny, self-deprecating, and it would be nice to listen to him without commercial interruption!

3. If you could make a living doing ANYthing, what would that be?
How about a research project to find out how much you absorb when you watch TV and read simultaneously. I think I'd be very good at that.  I could also be testing snack products at the same time, so working two jobs at once.

4. What’s your all-time very favorite dessert?
The things I always order (on those rare occasions when I order dessert) are creme brulee or cheesecake.  Creme brulee has a sight edge over cheesecake.  I've had very bad creme brulee and fantastic creme brulee.

5. How many pairs of jeans do you own?
None.  I can't remember ever buying a pair of jeans, though I probably had jeans when I was a kid.  My friend Diane gave me a used pair of jeans after I lost a bunch of weight and I loved those, but I have outgrown them and don't see myself buying a replacement pair.

6. What is your favorite flower, and why?
I think I started loving yellow roses because I read that they were Judy Garland's favorite flower.  But yellow roses as a general rule don't have a deep scent and I love the smell of a real red rose (not the kind you get in florist shops these days, which have no scent at all.  My boss grew lavender roses and I didn't much like the loo of the rose, but my word did they smell beautiful.

7. What book has most changed your life?
I think I would have to choose a little book someone gave to me in 1986.  It was called "How to Survive the Loss of a Love," where the "love" isn't necessarily a person, but could be a job, a tooth, or anything precious to you.   It was given to me by a woman in a job I had just started working after Gilbert died.  It helped me so much during that year of learning about grief and it has helped me over and over again with losses in my life since then.

8. What is your least favorite vegetable? Is there any way you can be persuaded to eat it?
Beets.  I don't mind borscht but I hate pickled beets in salads and always give them to Walt, who loves them.

9. If you could take a nonstop first class flight to any destination, where would you pick to land?
South Africa.  Talk about getting the most bang for your buck--a nice long flight and ending up in a country I have always wanted to visit, on a continent I have always wanted to visit.

10. If your 15 minutes of fame included a stint on American Idol, what song would be your trademark solo?
"Eensy Weency Spider" (a handful of people know why I chose that!)

11. If you could pick one former friend (who has remained elusive in this wild Facebook world) to reunite with, who would you unearth?
Well, the obvious answer is Peggy, but for friends with whom I have lost contact because of the years that have passed, I would love to find my old boyfriend Randy Ray Jones, whom I dated my senior year in high school.  I've always wondered what happened to him (and wonder if he really was gay, as I finally figured out years after I stopped dating him -- the big aha moment when I realized why he preferred spending time with his male friend than with me! I was so naive in those days!).  But with a name like "Jones," the chance of tracking him is nil.



Today was the busiest day at the book store since I started volunteering.  I don't think there was any point where the store was empty.  I sold more than $200 worth of books, which is huge.  But I didn't get a chance to read a whole book.  I was working on a fascinating book called "Balzac's Omelette," which traces the history of French society through the descriptions of eating events in Balzac's novels.  I had never thought about the "invention of the restaurant" before and was thoroughly enjoying exploring how you can figure it out by reading Balzac.  If the book is still there next week, maybe I can finish it.
It was also had to get myself home from the store, since Walt had gone to San Francisco, so I had neither a driver nor a car.  There is a bus stop 4 blocks from Logos and the bus, at this time of year, runs only once an hour, so I had to hustle to get there in time for the 6 p.m. bus.  I got there with 5 minutes to spare, and am so glad that I was on time because it was blazing hot and I can't imagine sitting on that bench for a full hour waiting for the next bus!

But I did it.  After 39 years in Davis, I can finally say that I have ridden the commuter bus!

 The bus stop

1 comment:

Kwizgiver said...

Wasn't that a fun meme! I really enjoyed your answers.