Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mmmm--Taco Soup!

I was going to wait a few days before I tried another of the efood packages, but because I am very stupid, I ended up making one today.

Dinner was going to be either lemon garlic Cornish game hens (using up some of the lemons that a friend gave us), or penne pasta with some sort of meat sauce.  I went back and forth between the two all day.  The hens weren't quite thawed, but enough that by the time finished getting them ready, they would pretty much be just fine to bake.

With the penne, I would normally mix meat with a ready-made spaghetti sauce, to make things easy, but I didn't have any spaghetti sauce and rather than go to the store, I would just make my own, which would be no problem, but it would take some time to simmer.
All afternoon, I debated on which I felt like cooking.  The penne would take less preparation, but required longer simmer time.  The hens took a moderate amount of preparation, but could be cooked sooner.

I hadn't really made up my mind yet and suddenly, as the Final Jeopardy question was being read, I realized it was 7 p.m. and really too late to start fixing either of the dishes, so I decided that God was telling me it was time to try a second efood pouch.

I chose the taco soup and I didn't take as many pictures this time.   It's the same process.  Boil the water, add the mix, whisk in, cook 12 minutes, add butter (if you want) and then let sit off the heat for a few minutes.  I knew it wouldn't be enough for a whole dinner for the two of us, so I used some leftovers for Walt to fill out the soup.

For starts, the smell was great.  And as I stirred it, I could see chunks of chicken in the broth along with beans and other stuff.  

It would have been more photogenic if I had topped it with tortilla strips and/or cilantro, but I just went bare naked.  You can see the chunks of chicken there.

SoupBowl.jpg (40356 bytes)

As I said before, I'm always tentative when tasting stuff like this,but I need not have been.  I said that the chicken casserole was good; this taco soup was GREAT.  I just loved it.  I was sorry I didn't have a pantry full of packages.  It was spicy, but not too spicy, the chicken had a sweetness to it, and had a mouth feel like fresh chicken and the whole thing was just great.

We each had bowls and then I filled Walt's bowl again and I had another scoop.  Toward the bottom, things were slightly thicker so I had to take a picture of my spoon.

soupspoon.jpg (51179 bytes)

(I wish I could share the aroma with you!)

And, as last time, the soup passed the acid test...this time by two dogs!

soupdog.jpg (60580 bytes)

Two down one (potato soup) to go!  So far efood gets 5 stars all the way.

No comments: