Saturday, July 22, 2017

Saturday 9


Saturday 9: Don't Stop (1977)... because Country Dew recommended Fleetwood Mac 

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Since we're not supposed to stop thinking about tomorrow, let's talk about it: What are your plans for Sunday?
Actually, I have no plans for Sunday.  I will be visiting my mother on Saturday and on Monday, but I have Sunday off -- and it's predicted to be >100⁰ so I'm happy to have no plans!

2) Fleetwood Mac was formed 50 years ago in London. Fifty years is considered a "golden anniversary." Do you wear more silver or gold?
I actually wear no jewelry at all, since I lost the "grandma" necklace the girls gave me for my 70th birthday.  I have tiny pearl earrings that were my mother's, but that's about it.

3) This song is from Rumours, which has sold 40 million copies. Is it in your collection?
I don't know that I have been familiar with anything by Fleetwood Mac, so no, it's not in my collection!

4) It was written by keyboardist and vocalist Christine McVie. She was born Christine Perfect, a name that earned her a fair share of teasing when she was a school girl. Do you recall being teased in school? What about?
I was always teased about being fat and, since I started school a year early, all the other girls went through puberty a year before I did, so I was teased a lot about my lack of boobs.

5) Before Fleetwood Mac, she was in a band called Chicken Shack. If you were to order out for a chicken dinner, which restaurant would you turn to?
The only place I can think of where you order out for chicken is KFC.  It's not nearly as good as it was when the Colonel ran things, but once in awhile it's not bad.  The last time we had KFC, though it was way too salty.  (I wonder if kids today know what KFC stands for)

6) Before she could pay all her bills with her music, she supported herself as a window dresser for a London department store. Do you enjoy walking along, just window shopping? Or do you consider "looking with no intention to buy" a waste of time?
I almost never buy clothes in a store any more, but occasionally I do like walking along looking in windows.  I never got nearly enough time to do that on cruises because we were always in a hurry to get to our destination and nobody seemed to enjoy the journey as much as I did.

7) When she found herself making big money, one of the first things Christine bought was a pair of matching Mercedes for herself and then-husband, John McVie. If you were handed a check for $1 million, what's the first thing you would do with the money?
This question has been asked before and in all honesty, though there are a few things I would like to buy, the very first thing I would do is to send a monetary gift to each of the kids I sponsor or write to through Compassion, Int'l.  The second thing is to buy a ceiling light for our kitchen. 

8) The other girl in Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, founded the Soldier's Angel Foundation. She believes in the healing power of music, and so she's proud to provide wounded soldiers with iPods already loaded with music. When you listen to music from your phone, MP3 player or iPod, do you use ear buds or headphones?
Ear buds.  I don't know how/if that will change if I get hearing aids.  I might have to use some of that $1 million to buy a good pair of headphones.

9) Random question: Let's pretend your high school reunion is coming up. Which classmate are you more curious about: the one who was your first date, or the one who was too cool to give you the time of day?
Well, I went to an all-girls school, so none of that opposite sex stuff.  I did go to my 50th reunion and nobody that I knew well from school attended (our graduation class was only 60 people).  There are two girls I would like to see -- one is a woman named Marie Davilla (obviously she has a different name now), with whom I went through 12 years of school and who has disappeared.  Even the folks who collected addresses for the 50th anniversary were unable to find her.  The other is a girl to whom I loaned a bunch of money several years ago, who promised to pay it back within a year and who has not.  The only time I heard from her was when she called again and asked for another loan.  My friend Gilbert always said "never loan money unless you are willing to lose it" and I knew when I loaned it to her that I probably would not see it again, but it was a disappointment to find out how dishonest she had become.  On the other hand, it makes me sad that her circumstances forced her to contact someone she had not seen in decades and ask for help.

No comments: