Monday, July 28, 2014

Sunday Stealing

ABCs of Me
These types of memes generally have me answering the same thing I have answered over and over again.  I'm going to try to shake it up this time!

A If you were an ANIMAL, what would you be?
If I weren't going to be an elephant, I would want to be my mother's dog, when she had one.  Now there was a pampered pooch.

B BOOKS: What's on your reading list?

At the moment "Enrique's Journey," which I am finishing and in the car, "Drop Shot" (Harlen Coban).  As for what's coming up next, there are way too many to list.

C COMPULSIVE about anything?

Writing this journal every day.

D DREAMS - Do you ... dream in color? remember your dreams? keep a dream journal?

I don't dream very often, but when I do I dream in color and sometimes remember them clearly, but usually not.  No, I don't keep a dream journal.

E EATING - what's your usual snack?

Lately it's ingenious ways to use flour tortillas.  Or those little "cuties" (mandarin oranges)

F A Few of your FAVORITE Things:

Sleep (something I am rediscovering lately!), peanut butter, cool breezes, puppy breath, back scratchers, "just the right pen" (I am always looking for that elusive thing), my Kindle

G GIGGLES! What (or who) makes you laugh? Do you have a good sense of humor?

The dog, the granddaughters (not always necessarily in that order), and The Big Bang Theory. I have a great sense of humor.

H major HOT Button:

Injustice.  Right now the children fleeing Central America, the gays in Uganda who are being hunted down and killed, either the Jews or the Palestinians, depending on the day and who is getting the worst that day, inhumane treatment of animals, etc., etc.

I I am    Compassionate, I hope.  
J J is just a letter you left off of this list!

K Also KNOWN As... Aliases? Screen names? A nom de plume perhaps?

No nom de plumes.  Just Bev, Mom, and Grandma and, lacking originality, basykes for a screen name.  But those are enough.   Many decades ago, a priest used to call me BeaverLake because that was the translation of my name.

L I LOVE ...

My family, my friends, dogs, elephants, books, TV

M How do you feel about MEETING people? Do it all the time? Rarely? Parties or 1-on-1?

I am not good with meeting new people and getting worse about it the older I get.  But definitely 1-on-1, not parties!  I do enjoy meeting on-line friends.

N What's the story of your NAME? were you named after anyone? Do you go by a nickname? Any aliases?

They were going to name me "Barbara" after my aunt, but then decided it would be confusing to have two Barbaras in the family, so they gave me her middle name, "Beverly."  Oddly enough, whenever someone can't remember my name, they call me "Barbara."

O OBSERVANT - What's around you right now? What do you see?

Chaos.  A desk piled high with unanswered mail, gifts for Compassion kids, my calendar, books, stationery supplies, TV remote, camera, a glass of water,a cookbook, a set of drawers filled with stamps, glue sticks, junk, and I don't even know what's in the bottom drawer because I can't get to it.  There are also boxes that hold research books, ruler, journals for SwapBot, and several boxes with Washi tape. 
And that's just the left side of my desk.  I haven't even begun to cover the right side, the walls, the rest of the room.

P Who are the special PEOPLE in your life?

The family -- all the blood relatives and in-laws, the Pinata family, The Last Session family, Compuserve's Section 16 women, close friends like Ron and the Section 17 people (you all know who you are), our wonderful Lamplighters friends, people from the DCOC family (probably our closest friends in Davis, even though we rarely see them), people we have known longest in Davis like Bob Bowen, Derrick Bang, Steve & Jan Isaacson, the BBB women, and any of the Lawsuit parents, the wonderful poet Claire Amy Atkins, and yes, even the two friends who have removed me from their lives, Peggy and Melody.  (this list is longer than I realized it would be; how fortunate I am!)

Q Any Little QUIRKs About Yourself:

The pinky finger on my right hand has been numb for many years, I can wiggle my ears, I am all but blind in one eye

R What do you like to do for RECREATION?

Very boring.  Read, watch TV, write letters.  That's about it.

S Do You SING in the Shower? In the car? For your friends?

Nope.  There was a time when I sang choruses in public, but as I have gotten older, my vocal range has become quite limited and my voice more raspy and I am aware that I can no longer sing.

T What's at the Top of your TO DO list?:

Bring some order to the chaos of my office. But don't hold your breath.  There is a book to be read first...

U Any UNUSUAL Experiences:

Baking pumpkin pies to toss either at Charlotte, by Charlotte, or for our kids to throw at each other. Actually pretty much most of my unusual experiences have been with Charlotte.

V VEGAS, Vienna, Venice, Vladivostok... How far have you traveled? What's your favorite City?

Been to Vienna (loved it), been to Vegas (hated it).  The farthest I've traveled in one trip was probably to Perth, Australia, 9,202 miles.  Favorite city...San Francisco, and then London.

W WINTER, Spring, Summer, Fall... What's your favorite season? What makes it special?

Fall because the trees are beautiful and the next season is Winter.  I love Spring for the blossoms, but it's followed by Summer, my least favorite season.

X EXes - Things You Don't Do Anymore (but did, once (would you, again?))

I don't transcribe tapes any more (and no, I would not do it again).  I don't decorate cakes any more (and again no...I don't have the strength in my hands any more). I don't foster dogs any more and I won't say yes or no on the future, but for right now it's very nice having 3 dogs with a set routine.

Y Any secret/deep YEARNINGS?

Well, it's no secret that I always wanted to travel to somewhere in Africa, but that isn't going to happen.  I'm too old and it's too expensive.

Z ZERO to ZENITH - Where are you in your life? Still growing? On an upward (or downward) curve? Just skating along?

At 71, I'm on the back side of the curve, but with a mother who is about to turn 95, I suspect it may be a very long downward curve (though also if my mother is to be an example, I won't remember a lot of the steeper parts of the slope).

No comments: