Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Gathering

We are beginning to gather, preparatory to Alice's funeral on Monday. I was going to ride down with Ned and Marta, but they were going to leave later than I wanted, so I drove the 300 miles by myself.

Lemme tell you, if you want blossoms, drive I-5 to Kettleman City. Orchards from start to finish, as far as the eye can see. Not only lining the highway, but extending off in the distance to the snow capped mountains in the distance.

Nestled in among the orchards were pastures filled with sheep, with lots and lots of "spring lambs" playing with each other and sleeping with their mothers. I was disappointed there was no place to pull over and take a photo.

I did stop at Pea Soup Anderson's, not because I was hungry but because I was feeling sleepy. I wanted coffee, but also got a cup (not a bowl) of their famous split pea soup.

I got here around 5 p.m. and we have spent the evening trying to plan who does what at the church on Monday. As with all of the funerals we have planned, there was a lot of laughter involved (despite the serious look of this photo!)

Ned and Marta should be here around midnight; the cousins are flying in from Maryland, Jeri and Phil are flying in from Boston.

I think Alice would be very pleased at how plans are progressing.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

It's Monday as I read this, and I imagine the Mass will start in an hour or two. Please extend my best wishes to all the family.