Saturday, March 17, 2018

Saturday 9


Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!
 
Saturday 9: Danny Boy (1956)
 
"Danny Boy" was selected in honor of St. Patrick's Day. Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) This is a sad song of farewell. Who is the last person you said "goodbye" or "so long" to?
My mother, when I left the memory unit this afternoon.

2) According to the 2000 Census, Massachusetts is the state with the largest percentage of residents of Irish descent. Have you ever been to The Bay State?

Often.  Our daughter lives there and teaches at Berklee College of Music, so we have visited Boston several times.  A nice city filled with history.

3) "The wearing o' the green" is one way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Will you wear something green in honor of the day?

I usually try to wear something green, even if I'm not leaving the house.  I will probably wear green socks.

4) What color makes you look best?

Probably red--the bluish red, not the orangish red.  If you open my closet, there is much more red than any other color.

5) Will you drink something
green in honor of the day (like a Shamrock shake or a green beer)?

No.

6) A four-leaf clover is considered good luck. Do you have a lucky charm?

No.

7) Though she's singing an Irish ballad, this week's featured artist, Joni James, is of Italian heritage. Can you think of a song as identified with Italy as "Danny Boy" is with Ireland?

Probably O Solo Mio

8) Soda bread and potato bread are popular in Ireland. Are there any rolls or bread in your kitchen right now?

Bread is a staple in my kitchen.  We always have bread, and often, in addition, English muffins or bagels.  If we have no bread and I don't feel like going to the store, I make bread.  I have had soda bread often, when we are in Ireland and it's not one of my favorites.
 
9) Ireland is known for its whiskey. Do you enjoy Irish coffee (black coffee, whiskey and whipped cream)? The question leaves out the sugar, which is an important part of Irish Coffee.  I haven't had one in awhile, but yes, I do. Did you know that Irish coffee was invented in San Francisco?  At the Buena Vista pub, which is at the end of the Hyde Street cable car line, in 1952.  When I was at UC Berkeley, we often went to the Buena Vista.  It was still a fairly new thing at that time.

2 comments:

Kwizgiver said...

I did not know Irish Coffee is from San Francisco!

Bev Sykes said...

See how instructive this can be????