Tuesday, March 20, 2018

#6572

This is the 6,572nd entry I have written since I began this journal 18 years ago today.  Hard to believe.


When it began it was on GeoCities, a site which hasn't existed for a long time.  I went back and moved several of the early entries to Funny the World (so you can read "Ned Moves into a Playhouse," the first entry).  My intent was to move all of the GeoCities to FTW, but I stopped at some point and never went back.  It is fun, though, to go back and see where we all were 18 years ago.


I keep a database of all entries and it helps for entries like this.  I am forever getting the number wrong when I write the "This is entry #" number at the end of each entry.  I was only off two entries this time, which is better than it has been.




I received the following video from Tom last night


I am all verklempt (a Yiddish word which describes a person who is too emotional to speak).
It's the "passing of the torch thing."  Having watched Jeri -- and all the kids -- growing up and learning how to play musical instruments, moving on to become professionals, and now watching my granddaughter, just beginning to learn the trumpet, playing a duet with Jeri on her musical instrument.....  Well, it just brings tears to my eyes.  
 
We did something right.


But there was sad news today.  I read the following on Twitter this morning:

It is with great sadness that Ol Pejeta Conservancy and the Dvůr Králové Zoo announce that Sudan, the world’s last male northern white rhino, age 45, died at Ol Pejeta Conservancy in Kenya on March 19th, 2018 (yesterday).  He was being treated for age-related complications that led to degenerative changes in muscles and bones combined with extensive skin wounds. His condition worsened significantly in the last 24 hours; he was unable to stand up and was suffering a great deal. 
 
This means that for all intents and purposes, the Northern White Rhino has gone extinct in our lifetime.  There are still two females, but since they were unable to breed with Sudan, there are no offspring and now never will be, though the conservancy reports that "his genetic material was collected yesterday and provides a hope for future attempts at reproduction of northern white rhinos through advanced cellular technologies."
I find this all incredibly sad.  The species was killed off in large part by poachers wanting their horns to make drugs for impotent men in China.  I hope the sex was worth the destruction of an entire species of animals.
"His death is a cruel symbol of human disregard for nature and it saddened everyone who knew him," said Mr Jan Stejskal of Dvur Kralove Zoo in the Czech Republic, where Sudan lived until 2009.

No comments: