Sunday, February 4, 2018

Sunday Stealing

1. January was National Mentoring Month. Have you ever had a mentor? Been a mentor? How would you rate the experience?
Not formally, but when my boss decided it was time for me to learn medical transcription, she tossed me a tape and a medical dictionary and asked me to ask her any questions that I had.  I actually became a transcriptionist and when the business sold, I helped teach the new owner how to do medical transcription too.

2. What current trend makes no sense to you?
I can't understand people who are still slavishly devoted to Trump with all the terrible things he has done since inauguration, all the lies, all the possible criminal activity, ruining our reputation internationally, threatening a nuclear war....  Makes no sense to me.  Is it all about the money?  Can everything be forgiven for a raise in pay?

3. I saw a cartoon on Facebook highlighting a few 'weird' things that make you happy as an adult. The list included-writing with a nice pen, having plans cancelled, freshly cleaned sheets, eating the corner brownie, cleaning the dryer lint screen, and sipping coffee in that brief time before anyone else wakes up. Of the 'weird' things listed which one makes you happiest? What is one more 'weird' thing you'd add to the list?
Of those listed, probably having plans cancelled.  I'd add to the list seeing a calendar page for the week and discovering that there is NOTHING written on it.  I am quite happy sitting at home most of the time!

4. What's the last good thing you ate?
The Home Chef meals I've made this week have been good, but I'm still remembering that sushi roll we had for dinner at a Japanese restaurant last week.

5. Describe life in your 20's in one sentence.
My 20s were spent birthing babies, feeding babies, folding diapers, working at nursery school, and hoping some day I would get some sleep.

6. It's that time of year again...time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words (or phrases) they'd like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, or genera uselessness) in 2018. This year's top vote getters are -- unpack, dish (as in dish out the latest rumor), pre-owned, onboarding/offboarding, nothingburger, let that sink in, let me ask you this, impactful, Cofefe, drill down, fake news, hot water heater (hot water doesn't need to be heated), and gig economy
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add
?
Good lord, "fake news" please!!!  Second place to "Nothingburger."

7. What's something you need to get rid of in the new year?
Look around you.  Most of what you see.  (Will I do it?  Almost definitely not)

8. Where do you feel stuck?
Since my mother's dementia worsened, I feel stuck in this routine I have of going to see her, listening to her talking about how old she is for an hour, leaving, coming home, taking a nap to let got of it all, and then doing it again in a day or two.

9. January was National Soup Month. When did you last have a bowl of soup? Was it made from scratch or from a can? Your favorite canned soup? Your favorite soup to make from scratch on a cold winter's day?
My favorite canned soup is probably tomato soup, made with milk (into which you must dunk soft white bread thickly buttered).  I make soup every so often (will probably do it more often with my Instant Pot).  My very favorite is one that I haven't made in a very long time which is Lamb Soup of the Middle East.  I must make that again some time.  The turkey stock I made recently was wonderful and made a great turkey soup last week.

10. Tell us one thing you're looking forward to in 2018.
There is nothing big coming up this year so I can't think of anything special that I am looking forward to, though I'm sure there will be many pleasant things that happen as the year moves forward.

No comments: