Saturday, February 3, 2018

Saturday 9


Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: Boat Drinks (1979)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Jimmy Buffett is singing about his bandmates watching hockey in a sports bar. Since it's Super Bowl weekend, our first question is: In cold weather, which sport to you watch most: football, hockey, or basketball? Well, I don't really watch any sports.  I will watch football if we are at Tom's house (where it is akin to church) or if Walt is watching a game downstairs (though he usually watches upstairs, where I'm not aware of it).  I consider it a group activity.  I will also watch at baseball if the Giants are doing well, but I don't actually sit and watch a game.  I don't think I've ever watched a hockey game (sorry, Mary!)

2) Jimmy sings it's just 20ยบ outside. How high will the mercury reach where you are today?

I just saw on the news that we will hit the high 60s and possibly even low 70s.  I saw the first blossoms on a tree yesterday.  I always think it's too early, but in reading back over February entries in previous years, I discover that I say that every year, so I guess it's not so early after all.

3) "Boat drinks" are mixed drinks designed to enhance the enjoyment of a boat ride or time on the beach. Popular boat drinks include The Tequila Sunrise, Cuba Libre, and Mimosa. When did you last sip an alcoholic beverage? Was it a boat drink?
I can't even remember.  I almost never drink alcohol.  Just lost my taste for it.  That said, if we are somewhere where there is a special drink, like a Cuba Libre or Margarita, I'll have one.  Mimosas are OK, but I think it's really a waste of good orange juice and good champagne!

4) Jimmy met his wife, Jane, in Key West
at a bar called The Chart Room. Have you ever been to Key West?
No.  Florida is one of the few states we have never visited.

5) Have you ever met anyone worth knowing at a bar?
Since we rarely go to bars, no.  Our years of bar-hopping were when our kids' band, Lawsuit, was playing bars here, in Sacramento, or in San Francisco.  The only people we "met" were other bandsmen, their friends, or their parents!

6) While Keith Richard and Paul McCartney have made cameo appearances in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, Jimmy Buffet has not. Producers have asked him, but he's always had to decline because of his touring schedule. Have you seen any of the Pirates/Jack Sparrow movies?

No.  I've heard they are good and I always intended to, but never have.  When you say "Pirates" my first thought is always of The Pirates of Penzance, with which I am very familiar.

7) When Jimmy gave the commencement address at the University of Miami, he showed up in flip-flops. How many pairs of flip-flops do you own?
None.  They always hurt my feet (and because they are so flat, they aren't good for plantar fasciitis), but I wear Birkenstocks every day, even to dressy occasions.

8) Jimmy has his own station on Sirius Radio. Do you subscribe to Sirius?

No.  I once tried having it installed in the car as a Christmas gift for Walt, but found out that our car would require major upgrading to use it, so we do not have it

9) Random question: What trend or fad from your youth do you hope never makes a comeback?

crinoline slips

No comments: