Sunday, August 27, 2017

Sunday Stealing


This is a quiz I picked up a long time ago and my notes say that it was stolen from "Master of Art History Asks," but I can't find a trace of that blog today.  But the questions were interesting (a couple downright relevant!)

1. Do you look forward to the spring?
I LOVE spring.  In this area the whole town bursts into blossom and in the country area just outside of town are many orchards that are all in bloom.  The only thing I hate about spring is that it is followed by summer, my least favorite season (we will be in triple digits again all week next week....please, let this be the last gasp)

2. Which area of the sciences do you enjoy the most?
When I was a kid I thought of "science" as biology and chemistry, both of which I hated, but I love ecology and especially learning about the life of all sorts of living beings.  I am a National Geographic fanatic!

3. If you could own a classical statue in the form of any figure from myth, religion, or even modern fiction, who would you choose?
Mercury would be kind of fun--and could also double as a hat rack.

4. Do you have a good relationship with your mother?
Very.  I miss the old relationship I had with her pre-Alzheimers, but we get along well now, though it is very sad for me.

5. What is your favorite mythological story?
I don't know a lot of mythological stories, but after watching Black Orpheus, I am familiar with the Orpheus-Eurydice story in its many versions.

6. If you put on a big feast, what would you serve?
The biggest feast I ever put on was a Christmas dinner for 24 and the turkey was delicious. for more than 24 it would have to be something like lasagne or some other pasta dish.

7. How do you have fun? (What is your favorite 'Earthly Delight'?)
I have lately taken to turning off media and reading for a couple of hours each day.  I have always been a reader, but sometimes don't take the time to do it to the exception of everything else. A recliner, a book and a tall glass of ice water at my elbow.  

8. Do you often look for hidden messages and meanings?
Not often, but I do smile when I see certain things.  My friend Gilbert died on July 14 and every time I see a license plate with 714 on it, I smile and think of him.  Ironically, our license plate now is 7xxx014

9. Have you ever received an award or special position?
I got an Elly award (award for local community theaters...a huge big deal) for best original play, but never felt I deserved it because I was more the "muse" than the author.

10. If a revolution was about to happen in your country, would you be part of it?
Well, if you mean pick up musket and fife, no.  I can't even do protest marches any more, but I can write letters and sign petitions and once in awhile donate $3, which, according to every organization in the country that writes to me, will make all the difference in the world.

11. Have you ever planned an act of revenge?
Oh, I have on occasion planned beautiful acts of revenge, none of which I have ever followed through on.  Well, I take that back.  I did follow through on one.  Let me just say that if you are going to royally piss off someone, make sure it's not someone who will one day write a book.  History is written by the survivors and you can write something 100% true and have it reveal unpleasant things, or you can concentrate on the good and forget the bad. The trick is to be very accurate...and very subtle.

12. What is the most dramatic thing you have ever done?
Probably taken off by myself to go to Australia for 6 weeks.  It was my first time traveling internationally alone without Walt, but I survived.

13. Do you care about your weight?
I care about it.  Do I do anything about it?  No.

14. Is your life moving too slowly or too fast?
The younger you are, the slower life moves.  The older you get the faster it moves.  It is July before I am comfortable with the new year and then it's almost over.  Just last week, for example, my oldest son was a toddler and yesterday he turned 50.  How did that happen?

15. Do you prefer to stay in the shade?
Very definitely.  I am not a sun person.  Never have been.

16. If you could have any mural on your ceiling, what would it look like?
Something by Hieronymus Bosch--you'd always have something interesting to look at.


Garden of Earthly Delights
17. Do you enjoy the countryside?
It's a nice place to visit.  I guess after being a city girl for the first half of my life I have grown into preferring the suburbs.

18. Are you a romantic?
I read Outlander.  Does that answer your question?

19. What is your favorite historic subject?
I have gone through various periods of interest.  I have read a lot about the days of Henry VIII, for example, and have read a lot about the Holocaust.  In the 60s I was fascinated by Hawaiian history.  Right now while I'm trying to absorb the music of Hamilton, and recently read a book about Washington and slavery, I'm interested in 18th century America and learning more about slavery.

20. Do you prefer landscape paintings?
Some are meh, some are spectacular.  The paintings of Albert Bierstadt are always spectacular

 
21. Are you interested in social issues?
Very definitely.  In this day and age, particularly, you ignore social issues at your peril (and the peril of everyone and everything around you!)

No comments: