Saturday, May 6, 2017

Saturday 9

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: The Tide Is High (1980)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 1) This song was originally performed in 1966 by a Jamaican band called The Paragons. Jamaica is the most popular vacation destination in the Caribbean. What's your ideal vacation? (Relaxing on the beach, sightseeing in a new city, skiing the slopes, spending time with family, etc.)
Probably spending time with family, in a nice house with a lovely view of the ocean.  (I don't need the beach, but watching waves would be lovely.)

2)
In this song, Debbie Harry sings that she's not the kind of girl who gives up easily. How about you? Do you hang on stubbornly? Or do you know when to say "when?"
Oh lord, I never know when to say when.  It's been a problem all my life, hanging on stubbornly long after I should have given up.
 
3) Blondie is a group that took it's name from the lead singer's most identifiable characteristic, her hair. If your band was named after your hair, what would it be called?
curly salt and pepper

4) Before her career as a singer took off, Debbie supported herself as a waitress. She even served drinks while wearing bunny ears and tail at The Playboy Club. Have you ever worked in food service?
No, and food service is better for it!  Several of my kids worked food service, though.  Tom worked at it the longest and was probably the best at it.

5)
Debbie points to David Bowie as a major influence on her music and career. What's your favorite Bowie song?
I don't know any David Bowie song
  
6
) In 1980, when this song was popular, the best selling issue of Rolling Stone featured Robert Redford on the cover. Who is your all-time favorite actor? Actor...?   Hmmmm.  I don't know that I have a favorite, though I have always admired actors like Spencer Tracy, James Mason, Harrison Ford and Anthony Hopkins.

7) In 1980, Ted Turner revolutionized how we watch TV when he introduced CNN. Do you have any subscriptions services in addition to cable -- like Hulu, Amazon Prime or Netflix?
All of the above.  I just learned yesterday that our "smart TV" gets Hulu...I may watch A Handmaid's Tale, though I'm in the middle of the book and think I'd rather finish the book first, but I am watching the new season of Grace and Frankie on Netflix.

8)
John Lennon was murdered in 1980. Today there's a specially landscaped section of Central Park called Strawberry Fields in his honor. If you had a day to spend in New York, what would you want to see?
New York is not my favorite city (I know that's blasphemous).  We've seen most of the "biggies" as far as attractions go.  If I had a day to spend, I'd  visit the 9/11 memorial (new since I was last there) and an evening show on Broadway.

9) We're going shopping! Which do you need to add to your wardrobe: underwear, shoes or a swimsuit? 
Well, definitely not a swimsuit.  And since I wear the same pair of Birkenstocks all the time, probably not shoes either.  Maybe replacing some of my greying granny panties, but it's not really a need.

No comments: