First of all, I did get upstairs finally today and I cleaned out a dresser for Caroline. It's a start. On that dresser was a big box full of junk but, as all boxes in this house (and there are hundreds of them), when you look inside there was a collection of photos. I could not believe it when I looked through the photos. The very top photo was this:
This is a photo of Jane and her two kids when they were visiting us in California many, many years ago. That little girl next to Walt s the young woman who will be staying with us for two weeks while she takes two courses in Equine Surgery and Neurology at the vet school. Talk about serendipity! (I think I still have that top, BTW...)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This 1980 video depicts Olivia Newton-John as a performer in small club. For the past few years, she's been performing regularly at the Flamingo in Las Vegas. Have you ever been to Las Vegas?
I've been there twice and do not like it. Too loud, too busy, too expensive, too many people gambling (I don't gamble). The first time we were there, we were driving through on our way to Colorado and spent the night. David was 5 months old at the time. The second time was for our friend Merrell's 60th birthday in 1996, shortly after David died. We walked around a bit but didn't really do anything. The best part of that trip was visiting the Liberace museum with a bunch of our friends, all of whom were gay guys. It's a whole different experience going with that group!
2) Many tourists who want to get away from the glitz of Vegas travel less than 20 miles to visit Red Rock Canyon. This national park is known for its hiking trails, which provide a view of the desert flora and red rock peaks. Tell us about a time you were impressed by natural beauty.
This week around here has been gorgeous with the fluffy white clouds against a clear blue sky and blossoming trees everywhere. I love looking at beautiful places, like the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Nambung national park in Australia, and so many other places.
3) One of the best-reviewed restaurants in Las Vegas is Andiamo Italian Steak House. When you order a steak, how do you request it be cooked: rare, medium rare, medium, medium well or well done?
It depends on where we are eating. If the restaurant is upscale enough that I know I can count on my steak really arriving medium rare, I order that, but if it's a cheapie joint, I order rare, and then it usually comes medium rare.
4) Olivia Newton-John's father was an officer in MI5, the UK's secret service. Sam's most recent encounter with the law didn't have much drama or intrigue: she asked a cop for directions to the highway. Tell us about the last time you spoke to an officer of the law.
I can't remember. Years, I'm sure. No particular reason, just the opportunity has not come up.
5) ONJ was awarded the OBE -- Order of the British Empire -- by Queen Elizabeth in honor of her contributions to the arts. Here's your opportunity to boast. What is something you've done lately that you received praise for?
It always tickles me when I get complimented on a review I've written. I don't "do" much any more that warrants praise, but I am proud of (most of) my reviews.
6) A breast cancer survivor, Olivia helped found a cancer center in her hometown of Melbourne, Australia. When you think of Australia, what comes to mind?
The six weeks I spent in Western Australia in 2003 -- kangaroos running wild in the bush where we walked the dogs every morning, petting a koala, watching the pink and grey galah birds everywhere, the red dirt in the outback, carpets of wildflowers, the emu who nearly ran into our car, eating meat pies and watching "footy," trying to learn the rules.
7) "Magic" was one of the top-selling records of 1980. Also that year, Post-It notes debuted. Do you enjoy shopping for office supplies, or do you consider it a chore?
Far from it. Office supply places are some of my favorites, and I am a terrible impulse buyer, so I stay away from them unless I need something.
8) In 1980, the NASA space probe returned the first photos of Saturn back to earth. Do you believe intelligent life forms from other planets are trying to learn more about us?
Go anywhere, Look up into the sky at the billions of lights out there. It is the height of egotism to think that with all those planets and stars that we are the ONLY intelligent life in the universe (and these days I'm not sure we even qualify as THAT!)
9) Random question: Are you more confident in your looks or your intelligence?
Well, it ain't my looks, that's for sure!!!