Monday, October 31, 2011

A Halloween Meme

What was the scariest movie you have ever seen?
I don't, as a general rule, watch the monster/undead/vampire types of movies, so the scariest movie would probably be something by Hitchcock -- "The Birds," "Psycho" or something like that.

What is your favorite written work of horror fiction?
I don't read a lot of horror fiction, but "Pet Sematary" was pretty creepy, as were "Cujo" and "The Exorcist."

What is your favorite work of science fiction/fantasy?
David Gerrold's Dingillian series ("Jumping off the Planet," "Bouncing off the Moon" and "Leaping to the Stars") because he has written a wonderful character in the books named "Bev Sykes." (thanks, David)

Who is your favorite monster?
Cookie Monster, of course

What was your favorite Hallowe’en costume as a child?
I don't remember most of my costumes, but in 8th grade my father built a haunted house and I hosted a party and wore a gypsy costume, with a long skirt, full make-up, and dangling black plastic hoop earrings. I felt really good in that costume until Eddie Garavanta complained I was stepping on his feet when he tried to dance with me and then I just felt like a klutz again.

What’s the best Halloween party that you’ve attended?
It would be that party. Eddie was a jerk, but it was really a fun party, even though my father told me for the rest of my life that I "never really appreciated all his work enough."

What did you do for Halloween as a kid?
We went trick or treating in the neighborhood. We also went to Swensen's Ice Cream (which was only in one location then). Earl Swensen gave free licorice or pumpkin ice cream cones to any kid who showed up on costume.

Given enough money what would be your fantasy Hallowe’en costume?
I'd love to look like some beautiful princess, but given the size problem, I would probably go with something like Shrek or Hagrid, or maybe a Snuffalupagus.

When was the last time you went trick or treating?
When the kids were little. I wasn't the one doing the trick or treating, of course... :)

What is your favorite Hallowe’en candy?
Snickers!!! (Always so sad when the kids got old enough to know when Snickers were missing from their haul!)

Tell us about a scary nightmare you once had.
I don't really remember dreams and don't think that I've had a "nightmare" that stayed with me after I woke up.

What is your supernatural fear?
That there is no life after death and I reallywon't see Paul and David again.

What is your ‘creepy-crawlie’ fear?
Being locked in a room with any sorts of creepy crawlies. Those pictures of people in boxes with snakes or spiders or whatever just give me the willies.

Tell us a time you saw a ghost or heard something go bump in the night
I hear bumps in the night all the time, with three dogs running around the house.

Would you stay overnight in a real Haunted House?
Oh sure. I've read about hotels that are supposed to be haunted. I think it would be fun.

Ghosts or goblins?
Ghosts. Particularly Casper.

Are you a traditionalist or a creative carver of your Jack-o-Lantern?
We were always very traditional and unimaginative. I was better about cooking them and making pies with them after Hallowe'en was over!

How much do you decorate the house at Hallowe’en?
Not at all any more. I don't remember doing much when the kids were young either, but we did do a semi haunted driveway one time, which was kind of fun. Scared some kids.

What do you want on your Tombstone?
It really is all juice and crackers!"It really is all 'juice and crackers.'"

3 comments:

jon said...

scariest movie I saw?
Actually it was a public service announcement.
Rick Perry for President.
OMG!!!!!

phonelady said...

This is an interesting post and thanks now I know more about you .

Harriet said...

Bev, you don't have to be Shrek. You would be a beautiful Fiona. (Isn't that part of the message of the Shrek movies?)