Thirteen Childhood Memories
1. Eating the crusts from a chocolate cream roll
2. Hockies (fried bread dough dripping with real butter)
3. working puzzles
4. playing baseball in Stephen’s tiny yard
5. My father's potato salad
7. Reading in the big maroon chair with the broken seat springs
8. The year my mother read us “A Christmas Carol”
9. Gathered around the radio with my mother and sister listening to "One Man's Family."
10. My father playing the piano – perhaps the only time he was ever really happy
11. Roller skating and longing to be able to afford shoe skates
12. Bringing home 6 books a week from the library
13. My mother sitting at the kitchen table peeling apples for apple pie.