Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!
Saturday 9: Baby's in Black (1964)Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) Black is this week's signature color because Friday, November 25, was "Black Friday," when retailers cut their prices and consumers flock to the stores. Did you score any "Black Friday" bargains?
I don't "do" Black Friday, but I did pick up two audio books I wanted at Audible.com at a hugely reduced price and a new iPod for $33 at Amazon.
2) Feasting and football are also popular Thanksgiving weekend pastimes. Do your Thursday-Sunday plans include pigging out or watching a game?
No. I might pig out, but definitely not in front of a football game (the 9ers aren't playing, are they?)
3) At Thanksgiving dinners, Crazy Sam's homemade gravy is always a hit. (Probably because she's so generous with the cognac, which gives the gravy a nutty taste.) What was particularly delicious at your Thanksgiving table?
The turkey was delicious, as was the pumpkin pie. Nothing stellar this year, though. I had high hopes for my "sides," since I spent so much time researching and choosing them, but they were just "meh."
4) Among the biggest the Black Friday advertisers are Target, Kohl's, Macy's and Best Buy. If you could have a $100 gift card to any one of those stores, which would you choose?
Definitely Target. For two reasons. One is that I have never shopped at Kohl's and there is no Macy*s or Best Buy here, but more importantly there is a boycott of Target now over the bathroom issue, allowing transgendered people in the bathroom they believe is appropriate for them. Such a silly tempest in a pee-pot. (Why aren't people more worried about the pedophile men in the men's room when they send their sons in to pee than the person who looks like a woman in the stall minding her own business?). I need to be supportive of businesses who understand.
5) This week's song, "Baby's in Black," is about a girl who wears black because she's in mourning. Do you find that the color you're wearing reflects your mood?
No. I usually am not even aware of what color I am wearing.
6) The woman who inspired this song, Astrid Kirchherr, has been friends with Paul McCartney since he and his bandmates (John Lennon, George Harrison, Stu Sutcliffe and Pete Best) met her in Hamburg back in 1960. Tell us what you believe are the components of a strong, lasting friendship.
Compatibility, shared experiences, trust, and a good sense of humor. An attempt to keep up their side of the relationship is also good.
7) In the early days of the Beatles, Paul McCartney and John Lennon began writing a play but abandoned it. Do you have a novel, painting, play, song or poem that you're going to finish "someday?"
No. I've co-authored two books and have hung up my author credentials and am resting on my laurels.
8) When he was 16, George Harrison dreamed of moving to Canada, Australia or Malta. In just a few years, he would visit all those places with Beatles and eventually decided there was no place like home and stayed in England. Have you ever thought about moving to another country? If so, where?
When we visited, I felt I could happily live in London or somewhere in Ireland. But I wouldn't like to be that far away from the kids.
9) Random question: Finish this sentence -- If you want me to give you "yes" for an answer, the best time to approach me is _____________________.
Any time when I'm not in the middle of trying to write a review.