Wednesday, August 26, 2015

My Checkered Musical Past


Our friends Rick and Judy are living one of my bucket list items that I will never do now.  But if you are at all interested in an African experience, I encourage you to read her wonderful blog entry about their safari adventures.  Definitely worth your time (also check out her other entries about this trip they are on.  She's not only a wonderful writer, but a great photographer as well.)

And speaking of great photographs, I encourage you to check out my review of the show I reviewed on Sunday, Bars and Measures at the B Street Theater in Sacramento.  The review is nothing to brag about, but the dramatic publicity photo is one of the best I've received to accompany a review and such a shame that the Enterprise can't print these photos in color!

The show focuses on the relationship between two brothers, one passionate about jazz and the other a classically trained pianist.  One in prison, one trying to free him.  One Muslim, one Christian.  Lots of layers to this show, but I thought often, especially as Bilal, the jazz guy, was scatting with brother Eric and talking about his jazz passions how much my father would have enjoyed the play, at least the music part of it.

My father had many passions and he was so passionate about things that he wanted to share them all with you.  But, as my mother was fond of saying, he felt that if a little of something was good, a lot of it was better.  It was the thing that prevented him from being a great cook...very heavy handed on the seasonings.  If a tsp of chili was good, a tablespoon would be better.

With music, he was so filled with jazz that he wanted to share it with Karen and me--and anybody else who would listen. He inundated us with instructions we couldn't understand about piano chords that he particularly loved and how to make them.  He would show me a major cord, a minor chord and to this day I don't know what an augmented chord is, but he would practically swoon, trying to get me to learn it.  He'd play jazz records he particularly liked, but never talked about why.  Just expected us to love them the way he did.

I often think about how he could have shared his love of jazz with me in a way that I developed an appreciation for it.  Instead, today I not only understand nothing about jazz, but I have an almost irrational revulsion of anything having to do with jazz.  (However, I must have learned something from him because I seem to be the only critic who has mentioned the brothers in the show doing scat duets.)

Music was just one of many things that we could not share, though we each loved our own kind of music.  When rock'n'roll came along, he went on long diatribes about how it was the worst music ever written (second only to Gilbert and Sullivan, which he loathed) and how it would die a quick death.  He was so adamant about how terrible rock'n'roll was that to keep peace, I never became a fan of rock either, until Lawsuit came along many years later (how he proud he would have been of the kids if he had ever seen them perform, but he died before the band really got going).

When we went to a production of Hair the other night, we walked into the theater and rock music was playing over the loudspeaker to set the mood.  My fellow critic turned to me and laughed "Did you ever think that you would be in a place like this and hear the Jefferson Airplane playing [name of music]?"  I didn't tell him that not only had I never heard of the music he mentioned, but I only knew the name "Jefferson Airplane" but couldn't pick them out of a crowd of famous bands to save my soul.  

Occasionally some rock star will show up on the Today Show, one of those stars with gender neutral names like Stevie Nicks, a name I've heard for many years.  I still remember being amazed a few years ago at finding out she was a girl. I couldn't tell you any song that she is famous for (though if I heard one, I might recognize it), so I always assumed that with a name like Stevie it was a man.
(But I can sing along with almost every popular John Denver song and join with my mother in singing all those Perry Como and Bing Crosby favorites on the playlist I made for her!)

The only reason I can sometimes identify the Talking Heads by sound is because of how important they were to Paul and Ned and because David Byrne has a very distinctive voice.  

I don't listen to much music any more since I discovered audio books  Somehow, though I have an iPod filled with music, I have lost the desire to listen to it, most of the time.  Maybe too many sad memories that go along with the most special recordings.  Or maybe too many good books I am hungry to finish.

But---there is good news today!  I called my mother to remind her to take her meds.  She answered the phone (yay!), sounded bright and chipper (yay!), and when she went to see if she had taken her pills or not she had!  We take these small triumphs where we can!

AND, I'm lovin' my new refrigerator.

No comments: