Thursday, August 27, 2015

Dave Fisk

You know, there are some days when there is just nothing, really to talk about.  It's impossible to answer my mother's constantly asked question "what have you been doing exciting?" when all I've been doing is going to Atria or watching TV.

So I didn't write anything here last night because I had nothing to write about.  And i got up early this morning to see if I was inspired  I had a couple of ideas, but first I updated my journal database and then went on to Facebook to post my weekly "Throwback Thursday" photo, today's, a picture of David, Paul and Ned from a production of The Wizard of Oz.


But what I saw when I went to post my picture made my heart sink.  It was three different notices, from his brothers and sister-in-law that Dave Fisk lost his month-long battle in the ICU.

Dave and his family have been our friends since all the kids were in school together.  There are a lot of Fisks, and a lot of Sykeses and they did a lot together.  Brother Chad was in theatrical productions with our kids.  Dave was always included in everything that the other kids did.
One of my fondest memories of Dave was when the high school was performing Our Town.  Paul had the role of the Stage Manager, who narrates the action on stage.  The show had just started and Paul was standing at the edge of the stage, setting the scene for the audience, when Dave came in, late.  The Veteran's Memorial Theater is fairly large, for a community theater, somewhat under 400 seats, and Dave, who was quite large, came lumbering down the stairs.  He got to the bottom of the stairs and walked across to the other side of the theater, raising his hand and saying "Hi, Paul!" as he passed him.  It got a chuckle from the audience, almost all of whom certainly knew Dave as a familiar figure around town.

He had the best smile in the world and was quick to give hugs.

When brother Chad was getting married, the wedding was on the stage of the theater and Chad decided he wanted Dave to get one of those minister-for-a-day licenses so that he could perform the ceremony.  Paul went over and over and over with Dave what he was supposed to say, what would be going on on the stage.  Dave was so proud to be the guy in charge.  Paul stood by him to help him get through it all, and at the end of the ceremony, an exuberant Dave turned to Chad and his new bride and said "You may kiss the groom!"

I haven't seen Dave in several years now and was saddened to read that he was seriously ill and in the hospital.  Walt and Ned went to visit him on Sunday, on their way back from Lake Tahoe before meeting me at the theater where I was reviewing a show.  I'm glad they had a chance to say goodbye.
Dave was a special guy and he made an impact on everyone who knew him.  He will be greatly missed.

No comments: