Saturday, March 2, 2019

Saturday 9

Come Saturday Morning (1969)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune.  Hear it here.

1) What are your plans for this Saturday morning?
I don't know.  We just looked at a board and care home I hope to move my mother to, and if all goes well, we might start moving her Saturday.

2) In this song, a man sings of going away for the day with a friend. Where did you go on your last day trip?
We have spent so much time going to Kaiser this past month, I can't remember a last day trip that was NOT to Kaiser!

3) The lyrics say, "we will remember long after Saturday's gone." What's something you've done recently that you predict you'll remember for a long time to come?
Well, if this board and care home works out, the first meeting with the owner is something I will remember pleasantly for a long time to come.

4) This song was the Oscar-nominated theme from the movie The Sterile Cuckoo. What's the first movie song that pops into your head?
"The Man That Got Away" from A Star Is Born

5) In the movie, Liza Minnelli played Mary Ann Adams, an eccentric girl everyone called "Pookie." Have you ever been known by a memorable nickname? Who gave it to you?
I haven't, but in her teens my mother was called 'Chubbie' by a guy who was living in their house.  My aunt picked it up and soon everyone called her Chubbie.  Now she is known as Aunt Chubby by the next generation.

6) Today's group began their career as The Grads. Recording artist/producer Herb Alpert liked their sound but hated their name. Alpert picked "sandpiper" at random out of the dictionary. Do you still have and use a bound dictionary? Or do you rely on the internet for word searches and spelling?
I'm afraid I haven't used a bound dictionary in a very long time.  I'm an internet gal.

7) The biggest news story of 1969, the year this song was popular, was one of the biggest news stories of all time. On July 20, Neil Armstrong stepped foot on the moon. Other than the moon landing, what's the most consequential event that you've seen in your lifetime. How do you feel it changed America, and the world?
The assassination of John F. Kennedy (11/22/63).  In this day when the press no longer protects/respects politicians, it's hard to know what the Kennedy administration was really like, but it seems like the country has not been the same since.

8) 1969 was a big year for music festivals, with Atlanta, Toronto and Woodstock all holding famous fests. Have you visited Georgia, Ontario or New York (state)?
I don't think I've been in Ontario, but I have been in Georgia (once) and New York (several times, both NYC and other parts of New York.

9) Random question -- According to some plant enthusiasts, house plants do better when they're spoken to. Do you talk to your plants?
I no longer have house plants.  I killed them all, gradually, but when I had them, I did, from time to time, talk to them.  My mother, when she was a gardener swore by talking to plants, which is why they flourished.

No comments: