Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Don't Forget to Scroll

We had bananas that were overripe and some buttermilk that was slightly past its sell-by date so I decided to make buttermilk banana bread.

Usually, I use Bisquick but lately I've been making it really from scratch (and as a result, I have to re-stock flour, baking powder, baking soda, and vanilla....I'm almost out all of them!).

I found the perfect recipe on the internet, which used a whole cup of buttermilk and decided to make that.

I had the recipe on my cell phone and was following it.  No mixer -- all by hand. 

When it was all mixed, I tasted the batter and it didn't taste quite the way I thought it should, but owell...I stuck it in a pan and put it in the oven.  Usually I forget and leave my phone in the kitchen, so I made sure to bring it back to the recliner with me so I didn't have to make a second trip to retrieve it.

I was about to erase the recipe when I realized that the recipe continued past the last line visible on my screen.  The last two ingredients were sugar and vanilla!  No wonder it didn't taste right.

The bread had only been baking for 7 minutes, so I took it out of the oven, put it back in a bowl and added the sugar...and then also added almond flavoring because I discovered I was out of vanilla.
Fortunately, that worked and it turned out beautifully...even the almond flavoring went well with the other ingredients.  But there's no danger of my deciding to baking anything else until I get to the store and replenish all of my baking ingredients.  I think I'm NOT going to buy Bisquick, which has been a staple in my kitchen for probably ever since I moved into an apartment before Walt and I were married.  The real "from scratch" recipes taste so much better and are not all that much more difficult to make.

I do have to get to the store today or tomorrow because Thursday is March 14 and you know what that is, don't you?  3/14,  pi day.
¤ ¤ ¤ ¤ ¤

Today is the 30th birthday of the Internet.  When Tim Berners-Lee submitted a proposal that resulted in the creation of the internet, it "described what, in just a couple years’ time, would transform into the World Wide Web: a connected system for sharing information that would revolutionize how the entire planet communicated."

Boy, he never could have envisioned what this baby of his would grow into.

I think back to when I had my first modem (yes, dial-up modem), which I knew I wanted but didn't have a clue what I would do with it.  I remember the night when I tried accessing the UC Davis library, about a mile and a half from here.  I was thrilled that I could connect...didn't know what to do with it, but I did connect.  

Then came Davis Community Network and the free year of internet access we were given, trying to "electrify" a community.  I remember going to some instructional meeting where we learned how to toss out a message and see how far we could send it.  The lucky one connected with Africa or Europe.  I can't remember how far I connected, but it wasn't that far.

I remember the pre-Google days and how excited I was when someone finally merged a few search engines so you could just use one engine and get a lot of suggestions, other than having to use several and see which one would get you your answers.

I remember CompuServe, my first experience with social media and how a guy named Paul helped me use the pay portions of the program by bringing message to my computer so my actual connection time was affordable.  That changed my social media experience, especially since I made so any friends through the Women's Issues forum, women who are still friends of mine today, far-flung though we may be (everywhere from California and Washington to England and Scotland!)

I also remember the first deaths of "invisible friends," people I came to know well, but never met...and sometimes never even saw a photograph of.  Far too many of those losses amd on line memorial services.  I think we even were invited to a wedding once, where the bride logged into our group after the service just to say hello (or maybe that was the plan and she never made it...but it was fun planning it!)

I remember when Mary in Seattle accompanied the body of the son of a woman in Hawaii because she couldn't afford to fly to collect his body herself.

I remember the early days of Funny the World, when I learned how to write things in code, with the help of my friend, the late Mike Kelly, until I managed to find Front Page (which is now terribly outdated, but I'm hanging onto it until I have to give it up).  I think I learned about Front Page from David Gerrold when I was helping him put up his very first web site.  It was a huge extravagance to buy the program myself, but it changed my life...and this journal.

I wasn't in the beginning of the Internet 30 years ago, but I've certainly been around a lot and can't imagine being without it now.

No comments: