Monday, January 29, 2018


We almost had a head-on collision the other day.

I had gone to Atria to pick my mother up for her new orthopedist appointment, to have her cast replaced (because the swelling has now gone down and the cast was too loose).  I've noticed new people in the memory unit lately.  Like the lady who always sits in the foyer in her wheel chair asking everyone when someone is going to pick her up.  They always tell her "tomorrow" and I suspect nobody ever comes to pick her up.

There's also the very nice lady who carries around a stuffed kitten wrapped in a blanket, holding it like a baby, who walks close to us so that she can escape out the door if we leave (the aids are good at redirecting her).

My mother's "friend" Loretta, who lives across the hall from her seems to have a new roommate.  As I went to my mother's apartment she was coming out, with her walker, arguing with the helper she had that she did not want to be walking with the walker.

I got a jacket for my mother and walked down to meet her, halfway to the back door.  By the time we got her jacket on her, the walker lady had walked the length of the hall and was on her way back.  She saw us standing there, aimed her walker directly at us and sped up  We had to grab my mother out of the way or she would have run right into us.

Exciting times at "the home."

The doctor appointment went well, though she still doesn't know why she's there or why her arm hurts.  
 (I loved the tattoo on the guy who put on her new cast)
 She seemed more fragile and more depressed than the last time, which doesn't surprise me.   This accident has done something to her stamina.
We dropped her off at home and then the next day I went to visit and be there so Jeri could call her.  I told her that Jeri would be calling and she didn't know who that was (she also thought I was a "nice lady").  I said that Jeri was her granddaughter and she said "I didn't know I had a granddaughter; I guess I've never met her."

While waiting for Jeri to call, she seemed to fall asleep.  I let her sleep and by the time Jeri called, she was out.  Like one of her passing out spells.  I couldn't wake her up, so Jeri couldn't talk to her.  After we hung up, I tried again to wake her up, to no avail.

I went to the person who run the memory unit and suggested to her that they leave her be and check on her in an hour.  I fully expected to get a call telling me they had sent her to the ER, but no.  I guess she woke up on her own.

I told Walt I've decided that these spells are "practice dying" spells and that one day she just won't wake up again.  If only she could end her life that peacefully.

We were back in the theater Saturday night, after about a 3 week hiatus.

We saw The Nether, a play by Jennifer Haley. "I don't know what I just saw, but I loved it," Walt said when it was over.

I checked with the wife of one of the other critics for her opinion.  "I hated it," she said (which didn't surprise me!)

"I'm sure glad you're writing this review and not me," said another critic.

Another recently retired critic expressed disappointment that he had nobody to write a review for because he found it an enjoyable challenge.

This is a kinda sci fi story taking place in some dystopian world, when technology has evolved enough to allow people to enter a virtual realm on the internet and interact with the virtual people there.

The site was set up by a confessed pedophile, who finds this a way to release his urges without any danger to any real children in his real life.  Apparently part of the experience is having sex with children and then killing them.  But since they are androids, they can regenerate and you can do it again.

It's all very creepy, but written so well and acted so well that I found myself enjoying it, though it does open up the doors for all sorts of discussions about morality!

No comments: