Monday, January 8, 2018

Award Season Begins


We went to see Spamalot yesterday afternoon.  It was a matinee so we were home in time to see all of the Golden Globe awards.
I love the Golden Globes because it's the firsts of the big award broadcasts, followed by the Emmys, the Oscars, the SAG awards, the Grammys (which I don't watch), and the People's Choice awards (which I always consider kind of hokey, since I notice that winners are usually in the audience and non-winners usually are not, so I suspect it's all staged, but still fun).  The other thing about the Golden Globes is that since it's  dinner with alcohol, people are generally more relaxed.
I liked this year's awards ceremony because there was kind of a tacit agreement that all the women would wear black in solidarity with the "Me too" movement.  There may have been women who did not wear black, but I only saw one, the president of the Foreign Press Association, who stood out in her bright red gown.  But everyone else was in black and what an elegant picture that presented.
 
The one thing about these awards is that each year I find out how much television I don'twatch!  There are so many shows I've never seen.  There was a lot of attention to Big Little Lies which, in anticipation, I'd binge watched ... and didn't like. But since it's about bullying and spousal abuse, it is timely.
One of the reason I didn't like Big Little Lies is that even with my hearing aids in, I missed most of the dialog.  BUT last night, after years of owning this TV, I finally figured out how to turn on closed captioning and I might just go back and watch some of it with the captioning on.
I knew Elizabeth Moss would win best actress in a drama, so there was no point in even hoping for a win for Caitriona Balfe (Outlander) or Chrissy Metz (This is Us) but it was nice they were honored with the nomination.  and I was not wrong--Elizabeth Moss won the award.  She's an actress I've never been fond of ever since she played First Daughter on The West Wing.  I knew The Handmaid's Tale would get lots of buzz, so I started watching it, but I first read the book and did not like the story and after the first episode I decided not to continue, since I knew how it ended.  Now I'm kind of sad that I didn't, but not sad enough to go back and watch it.
Oprah's speech following her acceptance of the Cecil B. DeMille award was, of course, the high point of the evening.  Such class that woman has, and such a stirring speech
"I want all of the girls watching here now to know, that a new day is on the horizon. And when that new day finally dawns, it will be because of a lot of magnificent women, many of whom are right here in this room tonight, and some pretty phenomenal men, fighting hard to make sure that they become the leaders who take us to the time when nobody ever has to say, 'me too' again."
There was lots of buzz after the speech about Oprah running for president in 2020 and I guess now that we have moved onto reality TV as being a qualifier for running for office...why not?  She certainly would be an improvement over what we have now and she might even be able to govern effectively.  Everybody loves Oprah.  I'll bet she could even charm Kim Jung Un. 
Long-time companion Steadman says that Oprah would love to run.  I'll bet she could beat what's his name.  She she certainly is a more stable genius than #45.  But what would Steadman be?  First Gentleman?  First Boyfriend?
And we'd have dogs back in the White House again
(I think my cough is affecting my brain....)

No comments: