Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sunday Stealling

Jim should like this one...it's short!

What is your favorite possession?
Nothing in the house that is worth anything monetarily would be my favorite possession.  It would have to be these guys:

ThePrecious.jpg (109805 bytes)

On the left is a papier mache statue of Gilbert as Jack Point (one of his best known roles) in Yeomen of the Guard. His family let me keep it after he died.  On the right is the famous "Delicate Pooh," who has made several appearances in these journal entries over the years.

Do you like to read? If so, which books do you love best?

No.  I don't like to read.  I love to read!  I've been an inveterate reader since grammar school, starting with the Black Stallion books and anything horse or dog related.  I moved up to biographies of the saints (found in our catholic grammar school library) and Nancy Drew.  When I started reading adult books, it was first historical fiction (I was fascinated with Andrew Jackson).  In college I read all the "trendy" books of the time -- all of Kurt Vonnegut, for example.   Now my first choice is generally the crime/mystery/thriller type of book, though really any interesting book will hold my attention.  I always have at least two "reading"books and at least one audio book going at any one time.  Right now I'm reading a book of essays by Merrill Markoe, "My Antonia" by Willa Cather and in the car I'm listening to "A Breath of Snow and Ashes," in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.  Walt and I will start and probably finish David Baldacci's "The Forgotten" on our drive to and from Santa Barbara for Christmas.

Do you have any pets?

Is the Pope German?

3dogs.jpg (64075 bytes)

Polly is the obnoxious yappy Chihuahua I swore I'd never have (fortunately she's also very sweet and loving and slavishly devoted to me).  Lizzie came as a foster dog named Happy, but once we decided to keep her, I renamed her "Leaping Lizzie" for obvious reasons! We adopted Sheila in 2004, and it started our association with the SPCA.  I chose her because I couldn't resist the ears!

What was your favorite food as a child? Is it the same now?
For my birthday every year I always wanted roast leg of lamb, peas, and mashed potatoes...and for dessert my mother's famous "chocolate cream roll," which she hasn't made in decades (and now, of course, doesn't remember how).   I have never actually tried making it myself.  I don't know that roast leg of lamb is my FAVORITE food now, but it's up there in the top 10.  Naturally I love Dungeness Crab and lots of ethnic fods, depending on the day and my mood for which nationality.

What is your favorite thing about blogging?

Everything.  I love having this record of my life since 2000 (just today, I read through all of the China Entries and enjoyed reliving the things I have already forgotten).  I love the friends I have made through reading their blogs and their commenting on mine.  I love the discipline of putting out something every day for nearly 13 years.  And I love memes!

If you could live anywhere, where would it be?

At my age, I think it would be difficult to relocate.  Davis is a nice, quiet town and we've been here nearly 40 years.  I'm too old for major life changes.

What is your favorite number?

7.  I don't have a clue why, it just has always been my favorite number ever since I was a kid.

Which of these things would you find hardest to give up for a year? Chocolate, reading, coffee or smoking?

Well, I don't smoke, I've cut way back on coffee, I shouldn't eat chocolate and I sure would find it difficult to give up reading!

If you could make your life into a movie, what would you name it.. and who would you want to play you?

Don't have a clever title, but Rosie O'Donnell seems the logical choice to play me.   (It would be a very boring movie--you'd hate it).

If you had £20,000  for a shopping spree, what would you buy?

Well, obviously something in England, since we don't use pounds here!  Actually, it's a little over $32,000 in US Dollars.  Not enough to buy a lot of stuff.   I'd rather spread it around, send sizeable gifts to each of the Compassion kids, give a chunk to each of our own kids, and maybe get a new computer, though that is a double-edged sword, since it means learning a new computer and replacing all of my very old, very outdated software that I love so much.

If you could eat lunch with one famous person, who would it be?

The problem with famous people is they are rarely what you imagine they would be like.  I imagine it would be fun to have lunch with Robin Williams, but suspect I'd be too nervous.  A better choice might be Jane Lynch, whom I have always admired.   But maybe I'll go for the easy choice and pick that somewhat famous singer/songwriter Steve Schalchlin, because I haven't seen him in too long and I miss him.

1 comment:

Kwizgiver said...

I think I've made a chocolate cream roll before. It was a fun challenge. And it was many years ago. But rolling it was tricky.