Saturday, December 18, 2010

Polite Society

There are probably only 3 social events where discussing feces is considered acceptable dinnertime conversation for polite society.

The first would possibly be some sort of medical conference, probably gastroenterological, unless wives were present.

The second would be any gathering of young parents, with either babies in diapers or toddlers toilet training.

The third is an SPCA dinner.

SPCA1.jpg  (120388 bytes)

And so it was that Walt and I were seated at an SPCA "thank you, volunteers" dinner last night discussing house-breaking, the size and consistency of various dogs' poops, and whether Pergo is REALLY good for dogs, because can't fluid leak through the connections and cause the boards to swell?

Animal people--you gotta love 'em. Conversation is always so...basic.

The party was held at the Senior Center and was catered by Woodstock Pizza, with assistance from Costco. So there were pizzas galore, lots of cheeses and crackers, salads, and lots of goodies like cookies, red velvet cupcakes, and mini candy bars. Lots and lots of drinks and lots and lots of really nice people. ("People who love animals are really nice people," Walt said was we were leaving the party.)

SPCA2.jpg  (120039 bytes)

I had thought of bringing one of the puppies, but decided it would be a pain to have to worry about a puppy...and was glad when I saw the sign on the Senior Center door that no pets were allowed (despite which there was a dog there).

There were lots of door prizes and everybody got four tickets to put in the cups of different objects of collections that were being given away, for the drawing later. Walt gave me his tickets to deposit for him. He won two things, I won nothing. I made my choices based on what would be good for either the puppies or Brianna. I'm happy with what we brought home. The puppies were happy with a new stuffed dog, and I hope Brianna will be happy.

I did give away a large red dog collar Walt won, though, since it was too large for Sheila and this guy and his partner are presently fostering a huge pit bull mix.

...and as if they read my mind, I woke up this morning and found that on the 3rd day of Christmas someone brought to me: three poopy puppies. Patty is having a bit of diarrhea and had left a big pool of goop on the floor of their play yard, which all three of them had walked through before playing with each other. I'm not sure when during the night they did it, because it was dried on their fur when I woke up. All three had to have a bath.

And what they did to the new stuffed dog we got for them last night shouldn't happen to...well...a dog.

StuffyPoo.jpg (114511 bytes)

After the bath, I was giving Patty the bottle she demands and while that was happening, Lenore created a big pile of poop (fortunately more or less solid), which Max decided was a tasty morcel and began eating. I dropped Patty and her bottle and cleaned up.

As I said, SPCA people's conversations are really...basic.

I promise I will NOT discuss puppy poop in tomorrow's entry.

No comments: