Saturday, August 11, 2018

A Kaiser Day

First the good news -- I slept all night last night!  I have started taking Advil-PM and for the first time in literally years I am sleeping better.  I've never been a pill taker for "minor" things like headache or insomnia, so I put off something as a sleeping aid.  I'm a new convert.

Yesterday was somewhat ridiculous.  Walt had an appointment at Kaiser first  thing in the morning.  There is no urology clinic in Davis, so he had to go to Vacaville, 15 miles away.  They were removing the catheter he's been wearing for a week and then return later in the day to see how his system handled no catheter.

I was to go to my PCP in Davis in the late morning to check on the edema I have developed in my legs and feet and check on that damn booboo on my backside that comes and goes and is a big part of my inability to sleep.

So Walt went off to Vacaville in the morning.  Ned came to our house to announce he would  take me to my appointment because he wanted to be sure he understood what I was supposed to do for the edema, so he could continue to be the enforcer.  Walt was relieved because with all that fluid in him he wasn't comfortable leaving home.

We went off to Kaiser and Ned came in for the edema part of the exam and left before the butt exam part. (I was thrilled to see that I have lost almost 10 lbs since this "whatever it is" started because I just have no appetite.) While Ned was waiting for me to finish up, Walt called and said he needed to go back to his doctor NOW.  Ned called his friend Jessica, who came to sit with me and take me home while Ned went and got Walt. 

The doctor said I had a sight heart murmur and so ran an EKG (everything fine) and then sent me for a different blood test.  Then Jessica brought me home (fortunately SHE has a key to our house, because I didn't have mine with me!).

Walt came home, back on the catheter for another week.

Ned tried to set me up so I could keep my legs raised.  The new recliner doesn't lift the foot rest high enough, so he went to a new furniture store in town.  As luck would have it, they had just sold a couch that came with an ottoman and the buyers didn't want the ottoman and the salesman said he'd give it to Ned for $10.  It's just perfect. 

I am so incredibly grateful to both Ned and Jessica for being here and taking charge.

SATURDAY 9

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song is the theme from a sitcom that originally aired from 1993 to 1999. Were you a fan?
Not a "fan" but I watched from time to time--Fran Drescher's voice bugged me!

2) The song tells us that Fran once worked in a bridal shop. Have you ever worked in a retail setting?  Never

3) The kids in the Sheffield household appreciate their nanny's "joie de vivre," which is defined as "exuberant enjoyment of life." Are you feeling joie de vivre this morning?
My joie de vivre has been dampened by my falls, my painful backside and my inability to walk normally (which means I can't drive because I can't lift my leg high enough to reach the pedals!)

4) "The Nanny" is the colorful one, the one who wears red when everyone else wears tan. What color do you think you look best in?  A bluish-red, though I wear mostly black.

5) The TV show, The Nanny, was the brainchild of actress Fran Drescher. She got the idea while visiting her an old friend in London. Her friend's pre-teen daughter enjoyed having Fran as a confidante and shopping buddy. Do you enjoy shopping as a leisure activity? Or would you prefer to just dash into a store, grab what you need, and get out and go home?
Definitely not a leisure shopper though it sometimes takes a bit of time before I find something I like.  I can't remember the last time I "shopped".

6) The friend Fran was visiting in London was Twiggy, who was the world's most famous model in the 1960s. Name another famous model.  Heidi Klum

7) The Nanny: The Complete Series is available on DVD on Amazon. It consists of 19 discs and takes 55 hours to watch, start to finish. What TV show have you recently binge watched?
I binge watched Season 3 of Better Call Saul while I had my feet lifted yesterday.

8) The Nanny theme was sung by Liz Callaway. Her father, the late John Callway, was a long-time Chicago newscaster. Have you, or has a loved one, ever been on TV?
I was on a kids' program when I was younger.  In high school, I was a pretend pregnant woman on a show about a home for unwed mothers--I was in the choir.  Didn't realize as i put on my smock that I would LIVE in them for so many years!  I was interviewed about breastfeeding when I was a young mother (I nursed David on TV),  I've been on the radio, but not TV in a long time.  Our kids were on TV occasionally while the band was in its heyday

9) Random question -- Which of these adjectives comes closest to describing you: sexy, sophisticated or down-to-earth?
Definitely down to earth.

No comments: