Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sunday Stealing

(Happy birthday, Char!)
 
The Wish List Meme, part one

1.) What are 3 things on your Wish list and why?

* Getting my mother settled in her new home, so I can stop driving 70 miles to see her
* Photo safari to Africa (never gonna happen, but it's been on my list for decades)
* Cruise up the inland passage to Alaska (to see the iceburgs while they are still here, and to go whale watching)

2.) What do you miss about your childhood?

My mother bringing me soup in bed when I was sick, pinning a paper bag to the sheet so I could toss my used tissues into it, going to the library to bring me books to read in bed, and leaving a bowl next to my bed if I might vomit.  I knew I was "grown up" the first time I was sick and had to take care of myself.

3.) What do you do on your spare time on the weekends?

When you are retired, all time is spare time, so weekends are no different than week days, except the choice of TV programs is different.

4.) What do you appreciate most in your life?

That our remaining children are healthy and happy and married to great people...and that Tom & Laurel have given us two terrific grandchildren.

5.) Would you rather be rich or healthy?

Healthy.  We were on a cruise in Russia with a wealthy couple.  He had so many health problems he could hardly move.  What good did all his money do him?

6.) If you could go back in time would you and why?

I truly don't know.  There is a lot to be said for going back to a time when things were good and loved ones were still alive, but by the same token, would I want to go through it all over again, knowing what I know today?  I doubt it.

7.) Favorite game as a child?

For board games, Monopoly, which I remember playing endlessly.  In grammar school, I enjoyed getting together with the neighborhood kids and playing baseball in the ridiculously small cement yard of the apartment around the corner.

8.) What is your dream career?

I guess I had it.  I loved working in medical offices, but I enjoy more being retired.  If I could go back to college and plan better, I might have chosen a career in Journalism, which, I guess, as a theater critic I am sort of following now.

9.) What do you do in your free time?

All my time is free time.  Watch a lot of TV, read, and drive to my mother's house and back again!

10.) Favorite clothing stores?

I don't go clothes shopping.  All my clothes come from fat lady catalogues and ordered on line.

11.) What TV shows can't you live without?

Well, I can live without any TV show, as I've had to do over and over again as favorites outlive their popularity, but at the moment, I would say The Daily Show, NCIS, Criminal Minds, Scandal, and Big Bang Theory, along with others that I enjoy, but would not miss if they came to an end. 

12.) 3 things you need in your life are

Other than the obvious things like air and water and enough food to live, the things I need in my life are
* An opportunity to write
* Enough books (is there such a thing as "enough books"?)
* Family and friends around me

13.) What can't you sleep without?

A pillow...and usually a Chihuahua

14.) What are you currently a nerd for?

* Computer stuff (though I'm not a nerd for computer knowledge, but more the computer things I use)
* Gilbert & Sullivan
* The Big Bang Theory -- ultimate nerd TV

15.) What is your favorite seasoning?

Cumin!!!  I love it.  I put it in a lot of things.

16.) What is your favorite wild animal?

The elephant.  I think they are endlessly fascinating and elephant societies have a lot to teach us about how to respect each other, help each other, and get along in the world.  It pains me that elephants are so exploited today and I recommend that anybody who has access to HBO watch the current special, "An Apology to Elephants," produced and narrated by Lily Tomlin.  It will make you feel guilty for ever going to a circus...or buying anything made of ivory.

17.) Name 3 of your favorite childhood shows:

* Ozzie and Harriet
* Winky Dink and You
* Howdy Doody

18.) If you could live as a character in a movie who would it be?

Shirley Valentine

19.) Favorite vegetable?

A toss up between artichokes and spinach

20.) Favorite Fruit?

Another toss up, between bananas and strawberries (I think strawberries have a slight edge)

21.) If you had a dragon what would you name it?

Puff, of course.

22.) What do you put on hotdogs?

If I'm eating them at home, just catsup.  If I'm at a ballgame, mustard and onions and maybe some cheese.

23.) Do you play online games?

Only Word with Friends (wanna play with me?)

24.) What's your favorite way to get inspired?

Read a truly brillliant writer, like Steinbeck.

25.) Do you have a middle name?

Anne (remember the "e")

2 comments:

Mary Z said...

I do Words with Friends (Mary Zelle)- wanna play? Have you found What's the Word? on your iPad. Horribly addicting. Also 7 Little Words.

My oldest friend dates from Girl Scout days is Anne - and I never forget the 'e'.

Kwizgiver said...

Oh, Shirley Valentine--what a great film!