Monday, March 26, 2012

Sunday Stealing

This particular one was not my favorite.  I've actually substituted two questions because they were repeats of questions that had been asked earlier (no, I'm not saying which are my questions and which came with the original list!)

1. Which TV character do you think you are most like?
Well, it pains me to admit it, but Roseanne.  

Rosanne.jpg (35661 bytes)

2) What time do you go to bed?
I usually end my day after The Daily Show, so about 11:30.  Sometimes I stay up until as late as 2 a.m., sometimes go to sleep as early as 10 p.m.

3) What was the last meal you made from scratch?

Two days ago, when I made pesto lasagna.  It would have been "yesterday" except we had so much lasagna left over that I served it the next night.  I will be making dinner from scratch tonight too (stuffed pork loin)

4) What is your favorite type of music?

My tastes in music are very eclectic and depend on my mood at the time.  I love show music, I like country, I like classical, I like some current favorites.  Just depends on the day.

5) In what position do you sleep?

If I'm on a couch or a bed, I sleep on my right side, with a chihuahua curled up on my left shoulder.

6) What have you been most frustrated by in your life?

My inability to control my food impulses, to really enjoy eating a nutritious diet, and to maintain a normal weight.  The times when I have done it have made me feel good about myself, so why do I keep sabotaging myself?

7) What is your least favorite smell?

I hate clouds of cigarette smoke, especially in a restaurant when you are trying to enjoy the food or any enclosed space where you are captive and can't get away (subway, elevator, etc.).  I was not sad when the smoking bans were instituted.

8) It's your round at the pub and your friends asked you to surprise them. What drink would you buy and why?

I'd order something called a "urine sample," which is Galliano liqueur and sambuca.  I'd like to see the looks on people's faces when they are told what it is called.

9) What was the last thing you read/watched that made you cry?

I cry so easily, I can't remember the last thing. 

10) They say that you learn something new every day. What was the last thing you have learned?

That the pyramids were originally covered with white limestone that was flat and reflective, which made them shine in the sun, but the limestone was robbed to build the modern city of Cairo during the Middle Ages

11) Which Literary love interests would you snog, marry and avoid?

Jamie Fraser from "The Outlander" series for the former, and definitely Christian Grey from "Fifty Shades of Grey" for the latter.

12) What is your oldest memory?

I only have partial memories.  One was riding on the train with my mother, going to Los Angeles.  She tells me I was about 2 at the time. Another is lying in my sister's crib drinking out of her bottle because I wanted to see what it was like--I didn't like it (I would have been 4 when that happened).  I also remember being taken to the top of our set of flats to look at a big fire.  I guess there was lots of smoke in the distance and I thought we were looking at a war battle.  I don't even know how I knew about war then.

13) Paperback, Hardback or Kindle? Which of these is your favorite reading format and why?

All three, for different reasons.  Paperbacks would be my least favorite of the 3, but if you can't find a book in any other format, I'll read one (though the size of the print has become sometimes problematic), and often paperbacks can be had very cheaply in used book stores.  I love reading hardbacks because they just feel good and the print size is good for me.  But with the Kindle, I can carry a library with me, I can change the size of the print, the battery lasts a month, so on a single charge I can go on a 2 week vacation.  The downside of a Kindle is that photos aren't all that good.  I'd rather read a celebrity bio in hardback.  And then there are audio books.  Strangely, I prefer Michael Connelly books in audio and Patricia Cornwell books in print.  Don't ask me why!

14) If you could bring back any canceled TV series for another run what would you pick and why?

The Dick Van Dyke Show.  Still the funniest show on TV.  Sadly, I don't think Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore are up for it--and some others in the cast have died.

DVDshow.jpg (61452 bytes)

15) What was the best advice you ever received in your life?
My godfather always said "never go to the foot when the head can be had" and I have found it good advice throughout my life.  It has worked often to bring satisfaction to an unpleasant situation (maybe not so much these days, when nobody at any level seems to care at all).  Don't complain to a waiter about food in a restaurant, complain to the manager or the owner of the chain.  Don't complain to a sales clerk, complain to the head of the store.  The "head" has a greater investment in keeping you as a customer.

1 comment:

Kwizgiver said...

I remember watching the Dick Van Dyke show!

And your godfather's advice is very good advice, indeed!