Sunday, December 27, 2009

Channeling Paris

I'm feeling like a fat Paris Hilton these days. I seem to constantly have a chihuahua either under my arm, on a leash, or in my lap.

Jeri has been doing great things with Dexter, training him to sit and stay. He's very good at sit, and sometimes good, sometimes not at "stay." But she has done in a couple of days what I have not done in three months, so my hat is off to her for what she has accomplished.

When there is no one to ride herd on him here in the house, he gets put outside, but it's really too cold for a partially hairless little dog to be out there too long, so soon I have him back on my lap again, which is fine when he's ready to settle down, but when he wants to be running around, it's not fun for either of us.

I suspect we will all be relieved when he is back in the car headed for Davis again! It sounded like a good idea at first to bring him, but it probably would have been better to have looked for a different foster home for the week.

In the afternoon. Walt, Jeri and I took Dexter over to visit with Grandma. It was her first opportunity to meet him and he seemed to get her seal of approval.

At about 4:30 we went downtown to "Harry's Plaza Cafe," a place far more elegant than its name would imply.

We were meeting Tom, Laurel and Bri there for dinner and Bri was in rare form, playing peek-a-boo with me behind Tom's beer glass...

...and posing for lots of pictures...

...and then checking to see how they turned out.

She says "Grandma" and "Grandpa" quite clearly now as well as things like "Auntie Nan, Uncle Phil, 'niners, touchdown, short stack" and "antidisestablishmentarianism" (sort of!).

As for the food, my lamb was to die for and I even broke down and had a Manhattan beforehand.

We have one more night to get through (I hope I sleep) and then tomorrow Jeri and I head home again, her to my mother's house and me back to my recliner, where I can finally let Dexter run free again.

It's really been a very nice trip down here, but next time we'll do it without dog!

1 comment:

Pandi said...

You sure that's "peek-a-boo" and not "dang, I can't wait until I'm 21?" :-)