Sunday, April 15, 2018

Sunday Stealing

1. Have you ever had a movie both totally captivate and complete confuse you?
Well, probably any Star Wars movie I have seen.  I really wanted to love the series, but I'm confused by every one that I watch.

2. When watching a movie, do you prefer things all laid out or to have to 'hunt for your own clues' along the way?
I'm rotten at picking up clues, but I would rather have clues than have it all laid out for me.

3. Do you want an ultimate ending to your movie or do you prefer to have it open for conjecture and discussion.You mean "finale-interruptus"?  I hate leaving things dangling.  There might not ever be a sequel and I want to know that the good guys live happily ever after and the bad guys get their comeuppance.

4. Do you talk during a movie (preferably one in your home, not in the theatre)?
Sometimes when we are at home, though I watch most movies by myself, so there is nobody but Polly to talk to.  If I talk in a I theater, it's only in a whisper in Walt's ear.

5. Have you ever seen a blockbuster movie and not get what was so great about it?
We don't see a lot of movies in the theater, but lately I would choose Ladybug and LaLa Land. What hype both had and how little they deserved it

6. What book frightened you as a young person?
Hmmm....can't really think of one.  Maybe "Rosemary's Baby," though I was married by the time I read it.

7. If you had to become a ‘living book (i.e. able to recite the contents of a book cover to cover upon request – reference Fahrenheit 451), what book would it be?
"East of Eden" by John Steinbeck.  Love that book

8. What movie or TV show scared you as a kid?
I was almost always scared by The Twilight Zone.

9. What movie (scary or otherwise) will you never ever watch?Any of the Friday 13th series or any of those popular slasher movies  Not for me.  I couldn't recognize Freddie Krueger in a lineup.

10. Do you have any phobias?
Driving on the left side of a big semi truck.  I'm convinced that it's going to go out of control and roll over to crush me.

11. What's the happiest thing to ever happen to you?So many happy things!  The birth of each of our kids, the relationship with The Piñata Group, my years with The Lamplighters, Cousins Days.....

12. What's the saddest thing to ever happen to you?
By the time you get to 75, not only do you have a collection of happy things, but too many sad things -- the death of each of our sons, the death of my best friend Gilbert, the death of my two cousins, my mother's Alzheimers..... etc.  I couldn't pick just one, though right now Alzheimers is running at the head of the pack.

13. What's the thing that got you the most angry in your life?
I want to say "I don't know--what has our glorious leader done THIS week?" but really the thing that got me the most angry in my life was after Gilbert died, when my other good friend was ordered by his partner never to speak to me again.  All sorts of things around that incident infuriated me for years and even though they are both dead now, I can still get all worked up about it.

14. What's the most frightening thing to ever happen to you?
I had claustrophobia as a kid and my cousin once locked me in a closet.  I can still remember how terrified I was.  Later in life, I was convinced for years that my teeth were falling out because of neglect.  I spent many days and nights in an embarrassed cold sweat.  I finally came to the point of no return and admitted to my dentist friend Cindy that I needed her help (for years I had been hiding my mouth whenever I talked with her).  I might have put a couple of her kids through college, but I still have all my teeth and I no longer have nightmares about it.

15. What's the most unbelievable thing to happen to you in your life?
I have been fortunate to have experienced many unbelievable things.  Looking around me and realizing Walt and I were standing in Red Square, for heaven's sake.
(don't think I'd want to be there now, though!)

Looking myself up in the card catalog of The Library of Congress.  Sitting and having a drink at a party with Carol Channing.  Meeting Judy Garland. 

No comments: