Monday, October 19, 2015

Nail Biting

Boy, the 49ers don't make it easy, do they?  With score at 25-20 and the Ravens within touchdown range with 6 seconds left to play, the 9ers managed to help the clock run out to win the game, but sheesh.  Cardiac arrest time!

We started watching the game late, midway thru the 2nd quarter, and I decided that after half time, I would go to my mother's and watch the rest of the game with her.  There was no possibility that she would have known there was a game on, or remembered to turn on the TV if she had.

When I got out of the car and approached the front door to the place, I had to giggle at the cute bit of wishful thinking here.

See that the temperature is nearly 80 and yet there is a bag for your umbrella, should the skies suddenly decide to open, though actually they apparently did have rain in nearby Vallejo, enough to cause streets to flood.  But Davis is kind of like the reverse Joe Btfsplk from the Little Abner cartoon.  Remember, the guy who walked around always under a black cloud?


We are doomed to be some sort of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind  My thoughts on that were further strengthened when I was leaving Atria and looked off to the west to see huge black clouds and thought "oh good, it's going to rain after all," and then to the east and saw more black clouds, while Davis remained under blue skies.

They tell me that two of the cities where we are to land on our upcoming cruise are currently "under water" so I have hope of seeing rain again in my lifetime.  Just not here, apparently.

My mother was pleased to see me, of course, and surprised that the 49er game was on.

She will never again watch television by herself. They have changed her cable system to what is now actually much nicer, as it includes a built-in directory, so you aren't just flying blindly in your station choices.  But it took me a good 5 minutes to figure out how to work it (quite simple, really, once you understand the directions) and I know that there is no way on earth that she would ever be able to do it.  However, when I left, I did leave the TV set to CBS, which has a lot of shows she might watch, including news and Good Morning America, so maybe she will be able to watch if  the set doesn't switch back to the home screen.

Of course, I think she watches almost no TV at all these days, so it's probably not a big concern.
But we enjoyed the game. She did get into it and only asked half a dozen times if they were playing "here or there."  I was delighted that ether the ethnic makeup of the teams at the moment have changed or she has forgotten that she used to obsess about the number of African Americans on the team.  Didn't mention that once, though we both commented on the number of tattoos some of the players had.

All in all, it was a pleasant afternoon and I'm glad that I went over there.  I'll have to do it again next time there is a 49er game that I happen to remember.

I was smiling as I left with her laundry, knowing how happy Tom must have been at the win.

No comments: