Thursday, December 8, 2011

Wish List -- and Other Stuff

Topic #9
Christmas Wish List

Oh dear. Well, this is going to be a short entry into the Holiday Blog Challenge because there really is nothing I have on a list to send off to the North Pole. I just want the same ol' things I want every year -- world peace and a clean house. Actually downstairs isn't as bad as it usually is, thanks to Walt taking on the lion's share of the cleaning which shames me into doing more myself. I haven't had a pile of unfolded laundry on the dryer ever since we got the new washing machine. Yay me!

As for world peace, well ... doesn't look like 2012 is the year for it either! Sigh.

I want our kids to be healthy and happy, I want our granddaughters to be healthy and happy. I want the dogs to stop peeing in the living room (like that is going to happen), but ever the optimist, I give thanks that dog urine is SO much easier to clean off of Pergo and the smell doesn't linger. (I also give thanks for room fresheners).

But really there are no do-dads or gee-gaws or trinkets or anything tangible on my list. SO, since I have really nothing to contribute to this topic, how about a Christmas meme?

1. Worst Christmas song?
My personal least favorite is "Feliz Navidad" just because they seem to play it endlessly and it makes me want to scream

2. If you were a Christmas character, who would you be?
Mrs. Cratchit...taking care of all those kids, trying to get Christmas dinner on the table, a little bit loving, a little bit grumpy.

3. What type of decoration should stop being made?
Those huge snow globes that stand on the lawn, make a lot of noise, blow snow around a figure standing inside. Give me something a little more subtle! With more lights.

4. Tastiest holiday treat?
Pumpkin pie, which is also the tastiest Thanksgiving treat. I miss having a box of See's candy to paw through, though.

5. Favorite pop culture/stereotypical Christmas icon?
Santa, of course! I do believe in Santa, I do believe in Santa, I do believe in Santa.

6. Know how to make cookies/brownies/cake from scratch?
Oh sure. I'm a wiz. I can make you any kind of cookie/brownie/cake you want from scratch. It does make me a little sad to see how many frozen things there are in the supermarkets that pass as "home baked" because you take them home and put them on a cookie sheet. The fun is making the cookies yourself. Heck, go all out. Get the kids together and make a gingerbread house!

7. Ever cut your mouth on a candy cane?
I don't believe so. I've never been a big candy cane fan anyway.

8. What other culture would you like to experience Christmas with?
Any culture that includes a lot of music. I want to go to every one of the places that Rick Steeves covers in his Christmas videos! But I don't want to eat any fish that has been wrapped in salt and buried in the ground for months.

9. What kind of pattern/pictures do you like on your wrapping paper?
No specific kind. I like wrapping paper and always have a variety around. As for what is on it, whatever picture suits my fancy (and my pocketbook). I do like the big rolls that are double sided.

10. Will you make a Christmas picture for your blog/website/profile?
already done. On the off chance this is your first visit to this journal and you haven't already seen this link a bazillion times, you can find the annual Christmas letter here. I also have a Santa icon for my profile picture on Facebook.

11. Three best things about Christmas?
* Having all the family (or as many as we can get) together to laugh and talk and sing and eat and enjoy each other.
* The smell of a Christmas tree, which reminds me of my childhood
* Writing our annual Christmas letter, even though it's tacky to post it on line and e-mail people a link. I still love doing it. I start writing it before Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Kwizgiver said...

Oh, I love your answer to #8. Holiday music is essential to the season!