Saturday, December 3, 2011

All Dressed Up and Nowhere to Go

Topic #5
Ideal outfit for Christmas/NYE festivities

When I started this Holiday Blog Challenge, I said that there would be some topics on which I would have little to say.

Behold! We have come to one of those topics!

I guess it's time to find my Santa sweatshirt. I can't remember how many years ago I bought it. It shows Santa peeking into a window at a dog sleeping inside. The paint has long since cracked on it and has the funny smell of something that has sat in a closet for too long. But it has been my Christmas outfit for probably 10 years. That and black paints. Sometimes sweat pants, sometimes velour, sometimes something else, but always black.

I brought out the sweatshirt today and will wear it to any social gathering to which we might be invited from now until Christmas and I will probably wear it on Christmas day. (I also made the Santa figure my profile picture on Facebook.)

Santashirt.jpg (69112 bytes)

I can't remember the last time I shopped for something to wear at Christmas time. I have probably saved Walt thousands of dollars with this one cheap sweatshirt, because it works and I'll look like shit anyway, so why spend money on new clothes?

I might wear something else for New Year's Eve. I don't have a special New Year's Eve outfit, but I do have one or two "good" shirts which do not have "t" as part of their description and they work just fine. They get good use going to stage shows, when I make an effort to dress up.

I was never fashion conscious, but I fear I have totally lost whatever remnant of that gene I ever had. Odd, because my mother is a fashion plate and always looks like a million bucks, even though she buys all her clothes at the thrift shop at which she volunteers for Hospice of Marin.


I had such a wonderful time today. It started with attempting to give blood, but since I had just received part 2 of my hepatitis vaccine, they told me I had to wait 2 weeks before I was eligible to donate, so I made an appointment for 2 weeks from now.

After I left, I went to my friend Joan's house. We were getting together with Nancy, the third prong of the triumverate. We used to get together regularly during the Bush Administration to let off steam. When Obama took office, we didn't feel the need as much and got out of the habit, but with all that is going on in the country at the moment we were way overdue for a coffee klatch.

I don't often get the chance to rant, especially with like-minded people, so this was like a breath of fresh air. We discussed everything from the Occupy demonstrations to the Pacific gyre to the Republican slate of presidential candidates, to books we are reading to ideas for celebrating 101 year old Herbert Bauer's 102nd birthday later this month, and lots of things in between. We even watched Jon Stewart's report on the $7.7 trillion the fed has loaned to banks that they just kinda forgot to tell Congress about. Everyone was suitably outraged.

I just had the best time and came home feeling heard, understood, and all that comes with the camaraderie of allies.

And just downright good women to boot!

(Plus it's always nice to be the youngest in a group these days--it happens so seldom!)

No comments: