Thursday, January 13, 2011

Thursday Thirteen

Borrowing an idea from Forgetful One here are 13 things about my 2010 in books.

1. I read 40 books last year (I keep a database), not as many as I would like, but still more than I read in 2009.
2. Two were written by friends, “How to be Sick” by Toni Bernhard and “The Weight of Gold” by Ruth Chambers.
3. Eight of the books were by Michael Connelly, including his latest, which he autographed for me at a book store event. I have now read all of Connelly's books.
4. I had Lee Child recommended to me and I read 3 of his books. Two were good, one was not so good.
5. Two were in preparation for our trip to Russia, “City of Thieves” by David Benioff and “The Madonnas of Leningrad” by Debra Dean. I finished "Madonnas" in St. Petersburg, which was the perfect place to read that book.
6. I read five books about dogs, “Oogy” by Larry Levin, “Rose in a Storm” and "Izzy and Lenore" by Jon Katz, "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein, and “Word” by Florence Petheram. (“Word” was also primarily a children’s book.)
7. “I read 3 books by James Patterson and just now finished another one. I am convinced that when he writes alone he's head and shoulders above when he uses a co-author.
8. One book was really a cop out, “Cake Wrecks,” by Jen Yates, since it’s mostly pictures, but it’s still a book.
9. I decided to try the Steig Larsson books, liked them, and read all three (“Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,” etc.) Before his premature death, Larsson said he could have written 100 books about Lisbeth Salander. I don’t think so. I loved her stories, but didn't want to know more at the end of the series.
10. Five were autobiographical-ish books, Carol Burnett’s “This Time Together,” Hala Jarber’s “This Flying Carpet of Small Miracles,” about rescuing children in Baghdad, Lara Adair’s “The Granny Diaries,” "The Woman I was Born to be" by Susan Boyle, and Meghan McCain’s “Dirty, Sexy Politics” (McCain’s book was one I never in my wildest dreams thought I would enjoy, but I did. Thoroughly.)
11. I was thrilled that Armistead Maupin added another to his Tales of the City Series, "Maryann in Autumn."
12. Erica Bauermeier’s “The School of Essential Ingredients” inspired me to want to become a better writer.
13. I only read one Diana Gabaldon (“The Drums of Autumn”) but if you’re reading Gabaldon, one a year is probably enough!

5 comments:

jon said...

Mingle***** Mingle?

Hah! I am not sure how many books I have read. I have read about 10 by Stuart Woods, 3 or 4 by John Sandford, 3 or 4 By Ann Rule, 3 by Carl Hiaasen, 2 by Trevanian. a bunch of other books on various subjects like Post Secrets(the book) The Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw, a couple of biographies, A couple by Patrick McManus and numerous forgettable books.
I used to read more but my vision isn't what it used to be.
Our generation were readers.

Andi said...

Hmmm. I haven't completed a book in 2011 yet. This would be a perfect year for me to start keeping track. I have some books that I like so much that I never really stop reading them....just opening them somewhere at random times (that I have done many times already this year). Thank you for the inspiration. *mingle*

Forgetfulone said...

Love it! I'm also in 100% agreement about Patterson. The books that are co-authored are good, but don't WOW me like the ones he writes himself. I'm curious which titles you read by him. I also might have to read that McCain book. Sounds intriguing, especially since you liked it. Are you on goodreads? If not, check it out. I love it. goodreads.com

Kwizgiver said...

Yet another great T13! And I agree that I didn't want to know more about Lisbeth Salander, either.

::mingle::

Bev Sykes said...

Forgetfulone: I read 7th Heaven and Alex Cross' Trial, and I just finished Double Cross. I've previously read several Patterson books, just not last year. (check out http://www.funnytheworld.com/2010_books.htm if you're interested...and the previous years.

I think I was on Goodreads once, but found I kept forgetting to keep it up, so I just started my own "books I've read" summary each year.