Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Super Tuesday

I voted. Did you?

I got all dressed in my primary finery, then covered it up with a sweatshirt, so nobody could accuse me of trying to campaign at a polling place!

I had several things to do today, so I drove to the polling place (which is around the corner from our house), and then on to Joan's to meet with her and Nancy for our periodic Bush Bashing coffee. Nancy has been so busy that I don't think we had coffee together in 2007, so it was nice to see her again.

We had all voted and were all eager to share our opinions, hopes, frustrations, and everything else. The difference this time from our past meetings was this time there was hope. Hope that finally we were looking at some positive change that might happen in the coming year. There was much laughter, much babbling, and much sharing of information and feelings. It was good to get together with them.

In spite of the politics that we had come to discuss, it turned out that the biggest topic of conversation was Joan's toilet.

Toward the end of our time together, I excused myself and asked Joan for directions to the bathroom. She told me I could use the bathroom in her bedroom and I was not prepared for the high tech piece of equipment that awaited me.

I didn't expect the warm seat when I sat on it, and I was sorely tempted to try out the many features that came with the toilet, but decided that with my luck, I'd end up breaking the thing, so I just did my business and left.

But Joan gave us a tour of all of its options and I must say -- I'm very impressed to know someone who has such a fancy "throne" !!!

Walt needed the car, so I didn't go downtown, as I had intended to do and instead came home and turned on MSNBC to hear how things were going.

So far, the word used most often by the group of talking heads, it seems, is "if," as they had a good time projecting what the votes would mean if they went this way, or if they went that way.

I also loved the parade of victory speeches by people (they all made 'em) while there was a roll of results rolling past on the side of the screen, half of them showing a win for their opponent. One thing is clear--America is speaking today and it's saying "I dunno, Marty--who do you want to be president?"

It's going to be a long night. But, again, I have to admit that this is the most interesting election that I've ever lived through--and here I thought that having to endure nearly two years of campaigns would get boring.

No comments: