Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Birthdays and Plans

It was nice to sleep under a warm puppy again last night. I had forgotten, however, that dogs don't understand the term "sleeping in," and so they woke me up around 6 a.m. I fed them, made coffee, checked e-mail, but eventually had to try to go back to sleep again, which I did. I didn't hear Walt leave the house when he went to work. He's doing a week (or so) long project, so is gone every day, for awhile.

I was glad to have him gone because today is his birthday and it would give me the opportunity to get a birthday gift (Tom Brokaw's "Boom") and get groceries for dinner (leg of lamb). I would also have the chance to make a lemon meringue pie.

I got a late start, though, because I wanted to finish listening to the recording of "Water for Elephants" I had listened to while on the train yesterday. Really a gripping story, with an ending I didn't see coming. There was still 2 hrs on the book on tape, so I got some stuff down around here while I was listening to the book. It did not disappoint.

While listening to the book, an exciting e-mail arrived from my friend Char:

Ok, ladies, as social director for this group I have a proposal. The French teacher at Tavie's [Char's daughter, who is a teacher] school regularly takes groups to Europe, sometimes kids, sometimes adults. She is planning an adult - women only - trip to France and Italy as soon as school gets out next year - 2009. Tavie, who has never been to Europe is anxious to go. I said I was in...We need a group of 20 to make it fly.

My first reaction was "no." Not because I didn't want to go but because I know that I'm in no shape for doing travel right now -- not only the "fitting in the airplane seat" business, but also the rigors of sightseeing when you get winded walking to the end of the driveway.

Then I realized I was being handed a golden opportunity. This isn't happenng this year, but a year and a half from now. This would give me a good 12+ months to get in shape. When I lost weight and got in shape last time it was for my trip to Australia. I had followed Peggy around California for six weeks and, while she was extremely kind and didn't get impatient with my inability to keep up with her, I wanted to do as much as I could so that I would be sort of in good physical shape to explore Australia.

It worked. My finest hour was climbing down into an underground cave, exploring it, and climbing back up again. One hundred steps involved in that tour and I did it.

A trip with this group would be a great incentive that somehow picking up and going on a trip with Walt doesn't seem to be.

So I've talked with Walt and he's agreed that it sounds like a great opportunity for me and I've told Char that I'd like to join the group.

Then, having made the decision to get in shape so I can go to Europe in 2009, I made a lemon meringue pie, which turned out to be one of the best lemon meringue pies I've ever made.

Oh well...I don't need to start losing weight today do I?

I had hoped that my computer guru would return my desktop today. There was nothing seriously wrong, but it wouldn't install "critical updates" and he said he'd run some diagnostics on it and said that it would be easier if he could do it at his house.

I told him the timing would be perfect, since I'd be away and wouldn't need the computer. He picked it up the day before I left for Santa Barbara and was going to return it as soon as I called him. But apparently the Food Bank computer had problems and he spent the day there. Harumph. Food bank? What about my needs???

But there was nothing I could do about it, so he now says he'll be by tomorrow with the computer. The main problem is that while I can use the laptop to do just about everything, it's just not as comfortable for doing things like creating video, so all the video I took from the trip has to wait until I get back on the big machine again. I'm also waiting to upload photos until I get on the big computer as well.

It was a weird day. I guess I was more sleepy than I thought because I fell asleep shortly after the Democratic debate and didn't wake up until 1 a.m. I dragged myself in here to the computer to finish this entry and now I'm going back to sleep again.

Tomorrow is a new day and a renewed dedication to getting in shape for a 2009 trip to France and Italy!

No comments: