Things I liked to eat as a child
1. Hockies (fried bread dough), which my mother made frequently. Slather with butter and see if you can eat more than your sister.
2. Milk toast – toasted buttered bread, with warm milk poured over it.
3. Powdered sugar donuts from our grammar school cafeteria, dunked in hot chocolate after Mass in the morning before school.
4. Pancakes for dinner (my mother would often fix that when my father was out of town).
6. My father made THE best potato salad. I’ve never tasted anything like it since he died.
7. My mother’s pot roast and potato pancakes
8. My mother would make a “chocolate cream roll” filled with whipped cream and topped with bittersweet chocolate frosting for special occasions
9. Campbell’s tomato soup with buttered balloon bread to dunk
10. My mother’s turkey stuffing. Sadly, she has forgotten how to make it.
11. Everybody loved my mothers enchiladas, which she learned how to make from a Mexican neighbor.
12. Homemade shoestring french fries
13. My father once made a GREAT calzone. I have never tasted anything that good since.
Food obviously paid a very big role in my life!!!