Friday, September 28, 2007

Mabel's Last Day?

Mabel seems particularly cute today. I don't know if she's really that cute, or if it's just that wistful feeling, realizing that she's going to Petco tomorrow and, if anybody has any sense, she'll find a "forever home" and we won't see her again.

The nice thing about having a singleton puppy, especially as they start getting bigger, is that Lizzie has a new playmate. When they first get here, they are too little and she often hurts them, briefly. But as they gain strength, especially if they are as feisty as Mabel, they think they are one of the big guys. One thing I've learned--dogs have no concept of relative size!

I can't count the number of times Mabel has yelped when Lizzie nips her and then turns around and leaps at Lizzie, to continue play.

I watch the three dogs file out the partially opened sliding glass door (I've shut off the dog door until Mabel leaves because I really don't want her in my office, so I just leave the back door open all the time) and it looks like The Three Bears going for a walk. First goes Sheila, then Lizzie, and then Mabel taking up the rear.

The big dogs get treats when I leave, and when I come back. Mabel has figured that out too and she sits and waits for her own treat. It's so cute watching these three pal around together.

Part of me hopes that she won't find a "forever family" her first time out. I'd like to keep her a bit longer, but the younger she is, the better her chances and who could resist that cute face? I want her to have her own family...but I'm enjoying "borrowing" her for right now.


No comments: