Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Pumpkin pies

 Pumpkin pies are  very big in this family, especially the tales of Char and I having pumpkin pie fights and our kids demanding to have their own fight, the year that we baked 9 little pumpkin pies and let the kids throw them at each other.

This year we are having a quiet Thanksgiving, with just the four of us having dinner.  Ned is cooking the dinner, but asked if I'd make a pumpkin pie.  I've been doing some stuff in the kitchen this past week and though my legs are still very weak, I have been able to make my own breakfasts for the past few days and I thought I could handle pie.

I have been having trouble with pie crust for years and I haven't figured out why.  I love pie crust and have made great crusts.  In fact, Jeri uses my recipe herself and is so pleased with it.  But several years ago, I just couldn't do it right.  I can make it, but I can't roll it out, no matter what tricks I try.  I can  get a pie out of the dough I prepare, but I know it's not right and it frustrates me.

For some reason today I made the best crust I have made in many years and I am so pleased.  My legs ached when I finished, but it's all in the refrigerator now.  Marta is going to make ambrosia and I will make stuffing for the turkey and then we will sit and have dinner, like we do every other night.  But I am so thankful to have Ned and Marta living here.

And I am so grateful that my pie turned out OK!


8210


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The pie looks delicious! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. I am thankful for you and have enjoyed reading your posts daily for many years. Seems like a visit from an old friend every morning.