Monday, November 7, 2022

FUNNY THE WORLD

 FUNNY THE WORLD

11/7/22

Well, I'm getting tired of not writing Funny the World so I've decided to start it here on Blogger.  My first problem was that my computer just stopped working and I needed to get a new one.  Then, while we were waiting for help getting a new computer, I developed pancreatitis and had to be hospitalized for 9 days while I had my gallbladder removed.  I couldn't get out of my recliner for a couple of weeks during such time.  Ned got the computer set up and it was awhile before I could use it.  Now I don't have a clue how it works...and hate it.  But I haven't had a chance for Ned to go through and explain things to me.  So I am well, and I have a computer but I don't know when I'll be able to find a program that will allow me to program FTW, so in the meantime I'll just write here on Blogger.

For those who don't know the story of my hospitalization, this is it:

It was a Saturday. Ned and I were going somewhere and I mentioned that my stomach hurt. He insisted that we go to kaiser ER and have it checked out. A couple of hours later, we were seeing the doctor who said I had pancreatitis. He also said there were small stones in my gallbladder and he wanted to get an MRI to see if I should have my gallbladder removed. I wouldn’t be able to get the MRI until the next day so I would have to spend the night. The next day, they had no room for me for the MRI. It turned out it took four days to get the MRI (several other patients had the same problem). The problem is that you can’t have anything but water before an MRI so it was five days before I could have anything but water.

When they finally got me in for the MRI, it took them an hour to get a needle in my arm. A doctor had to do it and my arm is still covered with scars from where they tried. I used to be a regular blood donor but no more. I am now classified as a "hard stick." The nurse who comes out to see me has tried to get blood and gave up.

The gallbladder surgery went well and I've forgotten all the things that went on in the days remaining (i thought I would remember everything). I was in the hospital a total of 9 days. They had to do "something' to me every 15 minutes 24/7 Blood tests, blood pressure, blood sugar, temperature, etc. I couldn't leave until I'd had a bowel movement and when it finally came, it took 3 painful hours and was so plentiful it filled a chair. They'd never seen such a large bm. I said that the nurses deserved canonization.

I will never feel upset when nurses strike for better pay. My word those nurses work so hard. I was amazed watching them swoop in, do a bunch of things to me and then swoop out again. Now I have a nurse who comes once a week to check on my progress. She'll come for two more weeks.

The worst part of being in the hospital for so long was being unable to get comfortable. The bed could slant, but not enough and there were alarms under everything so if you tried to move into a more comfortable position the alarm rang throughout the floor.

But I'm finally home and if this computer doesn't drive me crazy, I will try to add an entry every day again.  The problem is that during my hospitalization so many things happened that I felt would make a lot of interesting entries...and by the time I got home, I've forgotten most of them.  If I am ever hospitalized again, I will make video  notes!

Ned has been absolutely wonderful taking care of me. He feeds me 5 times a day (small meals) and cleans me up whenever I poop (many times a day). I never realized my son would be doing this for me. I don't know how anybody recovers from a surgery without someone like Ned to take care of them. I don't know how much longer it will be before I am back to normal, but things are getting a little better every day.





6 comments:

Christine Geiger said...

hey Bev, what an adventure. Happy to see you writing again.
i will follow you if you follow me....

Anonymous said...

Oh Bev, what a ride! I cannot believe you had to wait so long for confirmation prior to surgery! I had some inkling, but no idea the extent. What an ordeal. Happy to hear you are starting to feel better and happy to be reading FTW again. ❤️ Jen L.

CountryDew said...

I didn't realize you had pancreatitis on top of gallbladder issues. I hope your recovery continues to go well.

Mary Z said...

SO glad to have you back!!!

Anonymous said...

I’m so glad you’re back! I hope you recover quickly

Mama Tart said...

Glad you're back!!!