Sunday, November 13, 2022

Podcasts

 FTW - 11/13/22 - Podcasts

One of the things I got into at the hospital and when I got home, when I didn't feel like either reading or watching TV is getting more serious about podcasts.  I've had podcasts for a long time and I've listened from time to time, but I got more serious about podcasts this past month.  If you're looking for a podcast to help you fall asleep, I recommend Ali Wentworth ("Go Ask Ali).  She has dozens of inerviews with people, most of whom you have never heard of before.  The interviews are interesting, but you don't mind if you fall asleep listening and when one finishes, it automatically goes to the next one, so you could actually have her podcasts on all night to keep you sleeping.

Rachel Maddow has interesting podcasts, some are just the recording of her news show, but she lately did a show called "Ultra" which traces the history of the Nazis and it's fascinating.

Jon Stewart has a weekly show.  He started it a couple of years ago and after the first recording, there was nothing more from him for a long time, so I stopped checking him out, but I checked recently and discovered that he has been more faithful recording every week...and it's like The Daily Show back again.

Anderson Cooper has 3 podcasts, two of which revolve around news but he recently set up an 8 podcast series where he discusses death and grief with people who have lost loved ones ("All There Is").  For anyone who has suffered grief, this is an absolute must.  When you lose a loved one, nobody wants to discuss it with you for fear of making you sad -- like not talking about the person you loved will make you forget that he/she is gone.  I remember being in the supermarket and starting down one aisle of food and seeing a friend at the other end, who spied me and turned her cart around and went to a different aisle.  I also remember going to Ireland and seeing Cousin Nora, who apologized and said she promised not to bring it up again, but she just had to tell us how sorry she was that David died...and then she never mentioned him again during our two weeks with her.

What people don't realize is that talking about the person you've lost is such a help.  It brings them back again and it's wonderful to share memories.

The best of the 8 shows, for me, was with Stephen Colbert.  Cooper lost his father at 10 and his older brother committed suicide in his early 20s,  Colbert's father and two brothers were killed in an auto accident when Colbert was 10.  The discussion between the two men is emotional (both cried)  and absolutely wonderful.  So incredibly open, both of them.  He also talked with a woman who had lost her husband and I can't remember the other discussions, but the final episode was recording of people who had called in talking about how the series made them feel.

Anyone who has suffered grief or lost a loved on should definitely check out this podcast. 



2 comments:

tiff said...

I have a couple of friends who I think could use a listen to the AC podcast. Thanks for sharing.

cd0103 said...

OMG. I need to listen to this podcast. Thank you so much for sharing and so thankful I found airy persiflage again. I missed FTW so much! I didn't think about looking here.