Thursday, November 10, 2022

Kaiser Nurse

 FTW - 11/10/22 -  Kaiser Nurse

Kaiser is really great. After surgery then schedule 6 weeks of nurse visits and 6 weeks of physical therapy visits.  We've had Sandy for five weeks so far.  She takes all of my vitals and double checks with Ned about what my body is doing.  Basically she says I'm doing well, though I shouldn't be having diarrhea any more (though it has diminished a lot) and my blood sugar is too low.  Nobody has EVER told me my blood sugar is too low!  the remedy is to ... eat more.  She suggested crackers with peanut butter the last thing at night and the numbers went up 20 points this morning.

The only problem I had to talk with her about was my sleeping.  I keep telling people sleeping has been a problem for me for years.  My body can't seem to sleep more than 2 or 3 hours at a time, then wake for a n hour or so and then go back to sleep for another 2 hours.  But this week sleeping has been terrible.  I literally have not slept at all for 3 days.  I don't want to be a pill taker, but I asked her if there were some mild over the counter pill I could take.  She recommended the pill I was given once in the hospital so I took one last night.  Like my normal sleep, I didn't sleep longer than 3 hours at a time, but I could feel that I slept more soundly and had better dreams.  I will  try taking it for a few days and see if I can get my sleeping better arranged...or at least sleep SOMETHING every night.

Of course the day I asked for it, I had no sleep the night before and literally slept all day the next day, so when I took the pill, I have no idea how much it helped.



My daily schedule:  Wake up around 3 a.m. and turn on Morning Joe, which either keeps me awake or puts me to sleep (It kept me awake more when Trump was in office).  Wake or nap until The Today Show comes on.  Frequently nap through the first hour.  Ned feeds me breakfast and then I nap for a couple of hours. Wake up and come into my office, where I work for an hour or so, until time for lunch.  Ned  feeds me lunch and I take another short nap.  Watch TV until time for dinner.  After dinner Walt and I watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.  I usually watch TV the rest of the evening; Walt goes upstairs until time for him to go to sleep, then he comes downstairs and turns off all the lights.  I watch TV until Colbert,  then do the day's Wordle, then go to sleep until 3 a.m.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great she's there and working with you. Maybe between the 2 of you you'll come up with a long term solution to regulate both your levels and your sleep. Hugs

CountryDew said...

Regulating your sleep patterns might help. Less sleep during the day, perhaps? My mother-in-law also has sleep issues but she sleeps a lot more during the day than she thinks she does.