Tuesday, November 22, 2022

FTW 11/22/22 - Reading`

 Well, it's a good thing my cell phone died yesterday.  And there was nothing on TV I wanted to watch. So yesterday was a reading day.  I'm trying to get to my goal of 50 books in 2022 and after yesterday, I am at 45.  I finished one book and read two others.  I'm trying to read short books to make it to 50.

The first book I finished was "Finding Chika" by Mitch Albom (who wrote "Tuesdays with Morrie").  This is the story of the work he and his wife have been doing in an orphanage in Haiti after one of the big earthquakes, and the little girl they sort of adopted, who was dying of a rare form of cancer.  She became so special to everyone, and actually lived out a year or more longer than her diagnosis.  A very good story.

I wasn't sure what I was going to read next because all the books I wanted to read were on my Kindle, but I saw up on a shelf a hardback copy of "Animal Farm," a book I'd never read and was embarrassed because it seems everyone knows  that book, so I started reading it and actually finished it.  The book was written in 1945 and someone at the time told George Orwell it was prophetic and it certainly is.  It could be written about politics today, especially as we watch the pigs, who are in charge of all the animals, gradually take over power and end up running the animal farm pretty much the way the humans did.

When I finished that book, I read "Foster" by Claire Keegan, which someone on a discussion raved about, saying it was the best book she ever read.  I didn't find that.  It felt like a long chapter  taken out of a longer book and I wanted to know what came before...and definitely what came after.  I only gave it 3 stars on GoodReads.  Maybe I didn't read it right--it's won awards.

I am finding that my strength is coming back.  I can walk for a few steps without the walker, which is encouraging.  And I've started making my own breakfasts.  I told Ned he's been doing so much for me and I usually like to eat earlier than he likes to fix my breakfast, so I've now made 2 breakfasts.  In truth, it exhausts me and my legs ache when I finish, but as I continue, I'm sure this will be good exercise for me.


#8208

No comments: