Thursday, December 15, 2022

Saturday 9

 

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here are today's questions!

Saturday 9: The Christmas Song (1964)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

 

1) While this song was published as "The Christmas Song," many people refer to it as "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire." Have you ever roasted chestnuts (in an open fire or in the oven)?
I don't think I've ever seen a chestnut and definitely have not tasted one.  I'm curious about whether they are as good as songs like this make them sound.

2) Ricky Nelson sings that turkey helps make the season bright. Many of us just had turkey last month for Thanksgiving. Do you enjoy turkey all year around? Or do you consider it a seasonal dish?
We eat turkey a lot.  Marta doesn't like hamburger, so when Ned cooks a dish that calls for hamburger, he uses ground turkey.  As for cooking the whole bird in the oven, that's more a seasonal dish.

3) He wishes "Merry Christmas" to kids from 1 to 92. Who is the youngest person you will celebrate the holidays with? Who is the oldest?
The youngest will be my 11 year old granddaughter.  The oldest will be Walt (~83)

 4) "The Christmas Song" is a perennial favorite and gets lots of play this time of year. Is there a holiday song that you think is overplayed, and that you hope to not hear again (at least not until December 2023)?
I'm not overly fond of "Feliz Navidad."

5) This version of the song is from The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, the sitcom that ran from 1952 to 1966. There were 435 episodes in all. Is there a series whose every episode you've seen?
Oh many!  Recently Big Bang Theory, Better Call Saul, The Good Doctor (and all the other medical series)  (I also probably saw all the Ozzie and Harriet episodes too!) 

6) Life magazine coined the phrase "teen idol" to describe Ricky's popularity. In your younger days, did you have a crush on a teen idol?
Not really the actors I had a crush on were not "teen idols"  (You wouldn't call Judy Garland a teen idol!)

 7) Do you have a funny/ugly holiday sweater?"
Not really.  I have a few holiday sweaters (more sweatshirts), but nothing that qualifies as an ugly holiday sweater.

8) Have you received many holiday cards this year? Did you send many?
Maybe a couple of dozen.   I send out a pdf file of my annual letter.    I have about 10 people to whom I send cards because they don't have email addresses.  I"ve also sent cards to some pen pals this year.

9) If you were Santa, what cookie would you like kids to leave for you on Christmas Eve?
Mexican wedding cakes.



7 comments:

Schotzy said...

Yes, those Mexican Wedding Cakes are delish., I love how they melt in your mouth!

Smellyann said...

I like Feliz Navidad! Just reading the names me do a little boogie in my seat. :D I've never gotten a Christmas letter by PDF before! Interesting. ;)

Susan said...

I like Feliz Navidad but have only heard it once and that was at our Senior Christmas party. Those cookies look good!

The Gal Herself said...

We'll know if Santa hit your house already by the powdered sugar on his suit.

Twindaddy said...

I had no idea Mexican Wedding cakes were...Mexican Wedding cakes.

Cathy said...

Love those cookies too. Yea, we don't cook a whole turkey or turkey breast throughout the year either, but we do occasionally get a turkey dinner from a local restaurant for dinner.

Diana_CT said...

#1 You are not missing much, I would say it is an acquired taste, I used to roast them over the fire for my maternal grandmother.
#9 My paternal grandmother used to make something like them, Italian Wedding Cookies along with
Italian Christmas Cookies.