Friday, December 16, 2022

Oops

 I fell yesterday.

It was silly.  I  tried to weigh myself ... I lost about 14 lbs since I left the hospital and I was curious to see if I'd lost any more, since I'm eating so much better.  I stood up and went to get the scale, which was heavier than I expected and it threw my balance off and I tumbled over backwards, landing on my butt next to the recliner.

Now, for most people this wouldn't be a problem.  Just turn over onto your knees and use the chair to help you stand up again.  But when you weight as much as I do, "turning over" is a difficult thing because your body doesn't have enough strength to move that many pounds.  It feels so silly not to be able to turn over.  I tried.  I also tried to hang onto the recliner and move myself  to where I might be able to pull myself up, but no luck.

Fortunately, I was able to reach my phone, which was next to the recliner, and I called Marta, who was working upstairs.  She came down and tried to help me, but neither of us was able to get me to turn over...and I would have to get on my knees and I'm not sure my knees could handle it.

Ned was at his friend Greg's house here in Davis, so Marta called him and he came home and the two of them were able to lift me up.  If they hadn't been here I would have had to call 911 to get the fire department to come over and lift me (I had to do that once).  

I won't be bending over by myself again, at least not without a telephone nearby!

4 comments:

CountryDew said...

I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Yo Karen said...

Yo! technology can be our friend...I'm at the "as long as you're picking something up off the floor, what else can you do while you're down there" stage...

jenmoon said...

Glad you didn't break anything!

KarenD said...

Oof that sounds scary. I'm glad you were able to call for help.