Sunday, December 9, 2018

Sunday Stealing

favorite novel and author?
A toss-up between John Steinbeck's "East of Eden" and Pat Conroy's "Prince of Tides." The former for its wonderfully descriptive passages about an area that I drive through frequently, the latter for the plot, which Barbra Streisand ruined when she decided to make herself the star of the move.

favorite perfume/scent?
Because of so many people with scent allergies, I do not wear a scent any more, but when I did, I usually wore Chanel #5.

coffee or tea?
Coffee.  I have never been a tea drinker.  I love Peet's French Roast, which I have been buying for about 40 years.

are you a cat or dog person?
Dog.  We had a wonderfully noble cat once, but the next two and I did not get along, so I stick with dogs. 

which mythical creature would you transform into if you could?
The Loch Ness Monster, so I could find out where he goes when nobody can see him/her.

favorite time period?
There are lots of wonderful time periods that sound great in books, but being practical, it would have to be a time period with indoor plumbing, hot water, immunizations, and clothing that didn't take a servant to get you into.  The 50s was a nice time period for me because I was a kid and unaware of the social injustices and only mildly aware of the Korean war.  I'd have to go back to the 50s as a kid again.

name 3 films that have changed your life and have shaped you into the person you are today.
A Star Is Born, the movie that has been part of my life since 1954
The Blue Veil, a corny old old movie about a woman who took care of babies all her life (I often thought of that movie in the years when we were hosting foreign students, especially when we had to say good bye)
The Nun's Story, after which I desperately wanted to be a missionary nun (maybe the reason I have become so enamored with Compassion Int'l, and sponsoring children in other countries)

diamonds or pearls?
Pearls, I think.  I'd be nervous to have diamonds because of my penchant for losing jewelry.

what’s your biggest dream?
Seeing "the big 5" live, not in zoos

dream destination?
Kenya or Botswana or Tanzania

favorite fictional character?
Right now I am reliving the Outlander series, so Claire and Jamie are high on my list.  I also love Myron Bolitar from the Harlan Coben books and Harry Bosch from Michael Connelly.  In classic books, I long to be Jo March from "Little Women."

share a quote or passage that means something to you.
"Clutter and mess show us that life is being lived...Tidiness makes me think of held breath, of suspended animation... Perfectionism is a mean, frozen form of idealism, while messes are the artist's true friend. What people somehow forgot to mention when we were children was that we need to make messes in order to find out who we are and why we are here."
~Anne Lamott

what’s your favorite plant/flower?
yellow roses.

do you prefer the forest or the ocean? why?
I am an Aquarian, so it's not a surprise that I love the ocean.  I love the sight of it, the sound of it and the smell of it.  I draw the line at actually swimming in it, though.

what do you value most in people?
Camaraderie, loyalty, a sense of humor

No comments: