Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Austen Effect

At intermission I texted Walt:  "I'm suffering Austen syndrome.  Have sent Jeri for coffee."

We had gone to Sacramento to see a production of a play that supposes it's 2 years past the end of "Pride and Prejudice" and the Bennet sisters and their spouses are gathering for Christmas.  It's a beautiful set, and wonderful actors, and a funny script but...it's Jane Austen.  I'm the one who has never been able to finish anything by Jane Austen and uses the movie of Pride and Prejudice (If I can find it) to put me to sleep when I have insomnia.

I recently found the movie on TV and recorded it, thinking I would keep it forever use it whenever I need sleep help.  I had a night of insomnia and thought how clever I was to have thought ahead to have a recording on hand.  However, it wasn't quite what I expected.

 
I am still on the lookout for a real broadcast of one of the movies and when it comes on, I will have my built-in sleeping pill.

So that's the effect Jane Austen has on me and while this particular play was written by others, it takes the style of Austen and there we were sitting in the center of the front row for a stage that is less than 3 feet from the audience and I was dozing off.

Jeri was good about keeping me awake, but I wonder what the cast thought about the critic dozing off through most of Act 1.  Act 2 was better (or maybe the coffee was effective)  and I enjoyed it a lot more.  Now to write a coherent review before morning.


And so it's already over, so quickly after it began.  Jeri is back in Boston and we are on our way to Kaiser for Walt's surgery today.

Our day was mostly filled with driving to Sacramento for the show, and then through Old Sacramento to check out their big Christmas tree.


In the evening we sat and chatted and I got to see Jeri in her new bike riding Santa sweater


Poor dear...I made her sit through two episodes of Outlander, last week's and this week's.  I don't think she was too traumatized.  And I'm glad to know she saw this episode because I thought it the best in the season, thus far....and by watching last week's episode first, she could get all of her "who is who" and "how did we get here" questions answered without having to interrupt my watching episode 405 for the first time.

Both Jeri and Walt were exhausted and went to bed early, leaving me two hours to write my review before calling it a night.

No comments: