Saturday, December 22, 2018

Saturday 9




Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9:  Happy Holidays

(from the archives)

1. As you can see, Sam loved giving her annual wish list to Santa. Yet some children are reluctant to climb into Jolly Old St. Nick's lap. Did you enjoy the tradition or were you shy? Or did you by pass it altogether -- either because you wrote him a letter or because your family didn't celebrate Christmas?
I was terrified, but my mother needed that Santa picture so I endured it each year.  I also wrote a letter.  If you ever get a chance to see David Sedaris' Santaland Diaries, it's worth seeing and very funny.  This is part of one of my reviews of the show, about a visit to Santa:  We get a tour of Santa’s Village, including "vomit corner" and learn about high tech parents who force their kids to sit on Santa’s lap to be photographed, even if they’re screaming in fright. (Anyone who has ever stood in line to see Santa, whether as a parent or as a child will find someone with whom they can identify here.)

2. Are you currently on the Naughty or Nice list? How did you get there?
Oh, I'm very boring.  I've been so housebound for so long all I can be is nice!

3. Did you ship any gifts to friends and family this year? If so, which one traveled the farthest?
Again, because of immobility, I did all shopping and shipping on line.  It was so effortless and so pleasant, I may do it that way all the time from now on!

4. Did you buy yourself a gift this year?
Not really.  I did just order a headphone splitter adapter for my phone, though.  Maybe that counts, though since I "bought" it with my saved account money, it was really "free."

5. What's your favorite holiday-themed movie? Have you seen it yet this year?
Two:  Miracle on 34th St (the original, without colorlization) and White Christmas.  I have seen both this year, White Christmas twice.

6. Thinking of movies, Christmas is lucrative for Hollywood. Have you ever gone to a movie theater on Christmas Day?
Nope.

7. Have you ever suffered an embarrassing moment at the company Christmas party?
Not that I can recall.  I always worked in small offices that had low key parties, if we had parties at all.

8. What's your favorite beverage in cold weather?
Coffee

9. Share a memory from last Christmas.
Two.  First was spending $254 for the very first (and probably only) prime rib I have ever cooked, but I decided to splurge and make it.  I was terribly nervous I would botch it and read every recipe and hint on the Food Network pages, but ultimately it was probably the very best roast I had ever made and worth every penny, but not to repeat.
But on Christmas eve, Jeri and Phil were here and I decided to dust off the fondue pot and make fondue for dinner.

 
I had forgotten how delicious cheese fondue is...and compared to the price for skimpy servings in fondue restaurants, it's a great bargain!

No comments: