Saturday, January 21, 2017

A Lovely Day

I hear there might be "something" going on in the country's capitol.  I have been blissfully unaware of it all.

First, I woke up at 6 (after not going to sleep until after 2) and thought I'd go to the couch and see if I could get back to sleep.  When I woke up it was 9:45.  Wonderful.  All the festivities would have been over, if I was aware of what was going on.

Walt and I drove out to neighboring Winters to the Putah Creek Cafe, where we had a lovely brunch.  They sat us at a booth and I looked across at Walt and decided it was a good thing I was not Sheldon Cooper.  It drove me crazy enough and I don't even have OCD.


I had worn black because I felt like I was in mourning.  I also don't drink, but decided the day called for it, so I had what turned out to be a delicious berry mimosa.


I had a waffle and he had a panini and then we drove out into the countryside to look at flooding.  Given the fact that it had poured earlier...and that it was a Friday...the back roads were nearly deserted and I was able to take this photo of one of the many walnut orchards.


You can always tell when it's a walnut orchard because they graft English walnut trees onto black walnut trees to produce the walnuts we are familiar with but they all look so unmistakable with their two-tone trunks.

Later on we passed lots of flooded fields.


And we also found another way to get from I-80 to Davis when there is heavy traffic.  A great shortcut to know!

I dropped Walt off and then went to Atria to visit with my mother, a person who has never heard of Donald Trump, despite reading the newspaper every day.


She had no clue we had a new president, knew nothing of anything political, and I could rant and rave as much as I wanted and her response was "where did those chairs come from?" "So what are you doing tonight?" or "Well...life goes on."  But at least she listened to me, which was cathartic, if unhelpful.

I came home, checked out the eagles' nest to see how big the baby is getting, then turned on a Law and Order: SVU marathon until time for Jeopardy.

If anything important happened anywhere in the world, I was blissfully unaware of it.  And that was a lovely way to spend the day.  Ned would be proud of me.

I was able to see BOTH parents in the nest.

No comments: