Saturday, January 21, 2023

Sunday Stealing

Welcome to Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published on WTIT: The Blog. Here we will steal all types of questions from every corner of the blogosphere. Our promise to you is that we will work hard to find the most interesting and intelligent questions. Cheers to all of us thieves!


Stolen from the question meme


1. You are  back in high school... what are you doing after school lately?
mostly just going home.  It was a long bus ride home for most of us and no time to do after school stuff. Sometimes we'd go to the nearby restaurant for cokes or something before going home.

2.Do you do homework early or late?  Do you really study?
I actually don't remember, but I think I did my homework when I got home from school.  I studied, but not as much as I should have.

3. a, Do you go to the games? Football? Basketball.. what is your favorite to attend?
I went to a girls school and we didn't have games with other schools, that I remember.  Maybe volleyball.  Seems to me I remember attending a volleyball game or two.

 b. Do you go to the dances? Prom? (what'd you wear?)
Yes, I went to dances.  I usually helped set them up.  Can't think of anything special that I wore.], except formals for proms (2 of my proms and 2 of my boyfriend's).

4.Lunch!  What are we having today?   What is your favorite lunch?
My mother made lunches sometimes in high school (always in grammar school).  Usually a sandwich, some fruit and some chips.  I often ate in the cafeteria, but can't think of any particular food that was a favorite.

5. What kind of music do you like the best?
Today, I enjoy show tunes, music of my friend Steve Schalchlin, and classical stuff.   And of course the CDs of the band Lawsuit..

6. Does the radio play in your car and if so what station or kind of music plays?  Does music play in your home often?
We have a radio in the car but more often play CDs.  If it's on a regular station, it would be the classic station.  We rarely play music in the house, unless it's Ned's radio show and then we listen to that.

7. What do you think of the music played in restaurants or stores? Do you find it relaxing or annoying?
I don't pay any attention to it.

8. What part has music played in your life? What kind of music played at your wedding or at parties you have been to?
Despite the above answers, I feel music has played a big part in my life, from singing in choirs, to going to musical performances (Gilbert & Sullivan having been a major part of my life), to the kids' band which played for 10 years.  My father was a musician and Jeri teaches music at Berklee College of Music in Boston.  The music for our wedding was a Mozart high mass, sung by the choir I was a member of and a string quartet.

9. Is the farm for you? How about a ranch, a village or a city? Which is your choice and why?
I've never lived on a farm or a ranch.  I grew up a city girl (San Francisco), and it took me a long time to become a suburban mother, but now I think of myself as preferring the suburbs.

10. A short auto trip for the weekend with friends or a long vacation? Where would you go?
We often went on short trips and long vacations with our friends the Blackfords.  We took all 10 of our kids to see lots of ghost towns in Nevada and when we were older, we did river cruises with Mike and Char.  Mike is gone now, Char is in a senior living facility and we won't be doing trips any more, except to Santa Barbara to visit  Tom and his family.

11. The quiet life at home with a cuppa and TV or  a good book or a night out with friends? Which sounds good today?
Either a quiet evening with TV or a book, definitely.

12. You have a choice of  dinner and a movie or a game of cards and snacks at the neighbors. Where are you going tonight?
Probably neither, but in a more perfect world I love to play games and would love to have neighbors to play card games with, but Walt doesn't like to play cars, so we don't.  I remember "Cousins Day" when my two cousins and I played cards continuously with my mother on overnight dates.

13. Is there a hero or character on TV, in a book or a movie .. or even on all three, that you are especially like? What do you find attractive about them?
I loved Max in New Amsterdam, but the show has now been canceled.  I loved his idea of how to get medical care for everyone, not just those with insurance.  I also love the cast of Criminal Minds for their camaraderie. As for books, I'm still in love with the characters from the "Outlander" books and TV series but I don't know that I will live long enough to see how their story ends.

14.  Was there a book that was better in movie form? How about a movie you thought didn't live up to the book?
I can't think of a movie that made the book better, though some movies are OK.  However, Barbra Streisand ruined one of my favorite books, "Prince of Tides," by rewriting it to make her the star.

15. When you choose a book, program or movie which subject it is most likely to be: science fiction, mystery, romance, comedy, documentary, etc.?     What draws you to a particular book or movie? 
Mystery, though perhaps "crime drama" is a more appropriate category.  I enjoy some comedies and some documentaries but definitely prefer crime dramas.  The ones I prefer are ones where I feel the camaraderie among the groups working (like Criminal Minds and the NCISs).  I also enjoy most medical dramas, like The Good Doctor, The Resident, and New Amsterdam.

No comments: